Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT SOLD
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I want to install a STI muffler on my 08 XT, what do I need to get it to fit my XT? I hear you need long hangers? where do I get them from and what kind do I need and how many? Thanks!

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
You will need 2 longer hangers. The 2 hangers that are above the muffler canister are the ones needing the longer hangers. You need to lower the tailpipe down, so it won't melt your bumper. There will be one hanger you won't use, by the rear crossmember. I was able to tweek the STI canister to fit on my 05, but that is because I am a cheap bastard and didn't want to buy hangers.
When I do this at work, usually STI chssis-based performance exhaust, we buy the longest hangers Autozone carries. I would say they are 5-6" long.
I will take a pic today and send it your way.
The tip does NOT clear the bumper completely, so you may get some damage to the paint around that part of the bumper.
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
or kartboy xl hangers.. I used them. A little liquid laundry soap on the posts and the holes of the hangers and they slide right on. Really quick. I think I used a 14mm and 15mm sockets.

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts

This is my car w/ the tweaked STI muffler. Like I stated before, I just tweaked the metal hangers on the muffler.
Absubtle
CO

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
tweaking the hangers is the easist way to get the tip exactly where you want. If you have a torch, heat the arms and move them. If your like me and dont have a torch, just hit the arms with a sledge or the back of an axe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts