Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am very excited, because I am planning to get a Suby Forester!
However, I need some help from the gurus of this forum. I have test drove the car today. Overall, I like it and the ride is good. The problem is I encounter some noise when I test the car. This weird noise is coming from the front of the car, but it doesn't sound like it is from engine. The noise will only be there when you are in gear and moving. Once you are in neutral, no noise at all, very quiet indeed. From my experiences with car, I can logically relate this noise to the tranny. Though, which part of tranny, I have no cules. I am new to Subaru and I don't know much about it. Please input your opinion and help me out here.

1. I want to know if this is a common problem to these foresters.

2. How much of repair working I am looking into?

The car currently has roughly 250,000km, engine seems to run fine. It starts right up from cold start. No rattle, no noise when idling. It shifts smoothly through 1st to 5th gear. The steering wheel does not have excessive play and it feels fine ( no shaking/vibration) when the car is at 100km/h.

This is all i know for now.
Please help:icon_razz::biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
could you describe better then "weird noise"
other then that, I would take it in for a mechanic to look it over if it does not cost too much. even let him cover that part.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
you might take it to a mechanic for an opinion. Tough to give a noise opinion without hearing. If you can get a maintenance history from the owner that will give you an idea of what to expect. At the mileage you quote many items should have been inspected or replaced. There are service recommendations available on this forum that will show you what should have been done, timing belt, fluids, hoses, brakes, etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,897 Posts
Congratulations on your Forester purchase! :cool:

Pictures, must have pictures! :wink::wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures are coming soon.... car is still at mechanic place. There are quite a few things to fix up before I can get the safety. I feels like I got cheated/tricked. :icon_frown: The seller said safety should not be an issue, and I trusted him. When I take the car to my mechanic, the true emerge and I need to spend more than what I expected.

Anyway, I like the car a lot, so I think I will fix everything and get it rust proof after. I want to keep this car for at least five years. :biggrin: Nice subby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts