Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '03 Forester that came with the one-disc WB stereo. I picked up a six-disc changer that is theoretically MP3 friendly (it has the DISC/Digital emblem on it) so I can get a lot of tunes in there. However, I'd like to wire a plug into the dash to allow it to accept input from my MP3 player. I've seen write-ups where folks have spliced into the wires from the CD player and then play a CD with silence recorded on it, and that seems goofy to me. Anyone had any luck with other options? I haven't installed the unit yet, so I don't know which of the rear plugs is used but I assume that one of them is a controller for an aux changer. Can I use that as an input? Where would I find the proper plug for it? The head unit is at

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320469885537

Thanks

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
That one needs the silent CD hack (either using the 13pin connector on the back or the jazzy cable iirc). If you got a 07 forester 6 disc or newer it has aux in (needs either the special cable and input "box" that replaces the ashtray, or some custom wiring).

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That one needs the silent CD hack (either using the 13pin connector on the back or the jazzy cable iirc). If you got a 07 forester 6 disc or newer it has aux in (needs either the special cable and input "box" that replaces the ashtray, or some custom wiring).
Sounds like FM modulator time.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
That's a model P-133 (number printed on the front).

Subaru did not add MP3 capability until a few years later (2007 Forester and Impreza). Radios that have that feature will say "MP3/WMA" on the front. That's also the same time they added an aux input (you'll see a button labeled AUX or CD/AUX).

This eBay radio does not even have a socket for an external CD changer or satellite radio turner. I think about the only extra thing it has on the rear is a 5th-channel subwoofer speaker output (on the 8-pin socket in the middle). I do have a plug for that.

The "Jazzy mod" is compatible with the P-133. That's the easiest way to add an aux input.

If you want a solution that doesn't need the silent CD, the Leptronix mod will do that (but installation is not quite as easy as the Jazzy mod).

But it sounds like you might want to find another radio that's able to play MP3 CDs.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,085 Posts
There was a thread last month about an FM modulator that would accept MP3s on a flash drive. Dirt cheap on eBay. Start at this post and read down from there.

Yes, this brings with it the problems of using a modulator. They're pretty good if you're close to home and find a nice quiet spot in the spectrum. It's harder to do that if you're on a long trip, moving in and out of different coverage areas.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
An FM modulator is not the same thing as a FM transmitter. An FM transmitter does exactly that it transmits a weak FM signal to your antenna which then plays as a radio station along with any other interference from other FM noise. An FM modulator is installed in line with your antenna in and converts your input and plays it through you HU at a given frequency with no interference. I wouldn't mess with a transmitter which is what is linked above. I went with this FM modulator and couldn't be happier. If you can put in a cd player you can install one of these and the sound quality is FAR better than any transmitter that I have heard.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I meant direct modulator, not transmitter

I checked in to the modulators and the transmitters sound like a bad idea. Plus I'll have the unit out, so I'll have access to the antenna connection.

Kind of disappointing to find out it doesn't play MP3s. Guess I have to be more specific in my questions.

Q: Does this unit play MP3-encoded music burned onto a compact disc.
A: Yes, my son says he does this all of the time.
but first he converts them back to WMA

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
2 Posts
did you have to buy any additional cables to install this FM modulator? How long did the installation take? Are there installation instructions available somewhere online?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
did you have to buy any additional cables to install this FM modulator? How long did the installation take? Are there installation instructions available somewhere online?
Nope everything was included, the install took about an hour (I take my time), I don't know if there are instructions but it is very straight forward. If you have installed a HU or amp this will be SIMPLE. Once you find a 12v source (I used the cig lighter just for ease and location) and ground (I used the OEM one for the HU). Does any one else have trouble getting the clips to pop around the air vents, I want to punch something every time I try to take it off?

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Try this:
Scosche FM-MOD02 Play your iPod®, satellite radio, or portable music player through any car's FM radio at Crutchfield.com

I installed MOD01 in my 04 XS and it works great 3 years ago. The one above is the new & improved (more expensive) model.

You need to pull the center dash to pull the radio out.

It is a tight fit. I run a 6 foot 1/8" extention up into the storage box.

It took about 2.5 hours, just cause it was my first time pulling the center dash.

Nice equipment. We don't listen to the radio, only the iPod now.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
^^^That's the same one I linked to above but for double the price as Amazon. I pulled out my coin tray and mounted it to the bottom so when I remove it I can pop the coin tray back in and no one will ever know. I can't really complain about it, the sound quality is great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts