Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2010 Forester and was pleased to hear that they'll start shipping 2.5x Limited models with an HID (xenon headlight) option. My issue is this: I really need HID headlights for best visibility AND strongly prefer clear glass in the back (not privacy glass) for best visibility there, too. It seems that I've got the choice of the base 2.5x w/o the HID option or the 2.5x Limited with the HID option --- but also including privacy glass.

SO...do you think it's more probable that I could get a Subaru dealer to swap out the 2.5x base model headlamps for the new HIDs (since they're now OEM in the optional package on the 2.5x Limited) --- OR do you think it'd be easier to the buy the 2.5x Limited with the new package including HIDs and have the dealer swap out the privacy glass for regular glass?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
I'd try the glass-replacement route.

The HID replacement may require much more work - as well as expense - given the OEM components.

Also, this'll give you a chance to see exactly if the OEM "Privacy Glass" is truly too dark for your liking. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
hard!

Wow - tough choices. I would think it would be waaaaaaay more work to swap out the glass. Half the interior would have to come out.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
178 Posts
+1 on checking if the "privacy glass" is actually too dark for you. My windows are aftermarket tinted and I see just fine at night, if anything I'd prefer a little extra glare reduction.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,011 Posts
I doubt either will work. The privacy glass has very good light penetration... it was no where nearly dark enough. I had to add additional tint to make is drivable for me.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Wow - tough choices. I would think it would be waaaaaaay more work to swap out the glass. Half the interior would have to come out.
^ True, I didn't see it that way, and I appreciate the differing view. It could very well be that labor for this task would equal both the labor and parts for the headlamp switch-over.

Honestly, without knowing exactly what's involved in switching over the headlamps (look at the level of involvement necessary to graft JDM/EDM components, including the leveling motors and switchgear, to the USDM BL/BP-chassis Legacys) it's hard to project costs.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Dont expect miracles from HID

Don´t get your hopes up when it comes to the HID lighting. They do not really give more light than conventional headlights with a good element.

Besides, the high-beam is conventional, only lo-beam is true HID.

At least this is the fact in EU markets. I just took delivery of a loaded 2010 Boxer Diesel with HID lights.

M

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Can't agree. The Euro SH's HIDs are the best headlamps I've ever driven behind. All I did was replace the standard high beam bulbs with a pair of upgrades; GE Nighthawks to be precise. Superb combo.

And a quantum leap better than the halogen lamps on the Tiguan loaner I have at the moment. Dim yellow candles...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Can't agree. The Euro SH's HIDs are the best headlamps I've ever driven behind.

And a quantum leap better than the halogen lamps on the Tiguan loaner I have at the moment. Dim yellow candles...
A bit subjective, IMHO –*how they compare to "what you´ve driven before", or to a "loaner Tiguan" – I cannot tell. All I am saying is: The 2010 Forester HID and non-HID headlights compared, gives the HID-light a marginal advantage.

Since both versions have conventional bulbs as high-beam, the best thing you can do, is upgrade the high beam bulb, and/or go for a couple of good quality aux lights.

M

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Without direct knowledge of the Euro-market HIDs, I am reluctant to weigh-in in favor of either side.

And this brings about yet another point - the Original Poster above is looking at a US-market vehicle.

We have different lighting pattern requirements here, and as such, it not only remains an unknown as to whether the OEM HIDs will provide a true improvement, in terms of lighting - it furthermore means that we should exercise care in making cross-comparisons between the different markets, due to the lighting pattern differences inherent to the differences incurred by the legal requirements of our different home countries/markets.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Take another look at the privacy glass, from the inside out. It's hardly different from the non tinted glass. I am not sure if you expect them to just swap glass with another Forester on the lot, cuz that just ain't gonna happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts