Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Scooby's, but am looking to get a BOV for my girlfriends 2009 Forester XT. I understand that any BOV from a 05+ Legacy GT will fit.

My question is: Are the Perrin BOV's any good? I am looking to get the recirc BOV as I understand that venting to atmosphere may cause some stumbling between gears. Would the recirc BOV still be audible enuff to have disregarding any performance factors? ( I understand that BOV's are just a noise maker until heavy mods come )

Would being an automatic (all domestic FXT's for 2009 are auto ) vs. manual lessen the potential to cause stumbling between shifts, or is that solely based on the car having a MAF??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
:shake::chair:

why would you want a a bov @ all, you have a perfectly good one stock? if you want some pssssssssssssshhhhhhh noises, make them yourself or remove your intake snorkus. please dont buy a bov as the only mod on your girls car.....

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:shake::chair:

why would you want a a bov @ all, you have a perfectly good one stock? if you want some pssssssssssssshhhhhhh noises, make them yourself or remove your intake snorkus. please dont buy a bov as the only mod on your girls car.....
Hahaha, thanks for the response. She likes the sounds and she wants one. I have already removed the snorkus, and will be installing a filter on her car today. I am trying to convince her to get/want an downpipe and exhuast for it, as well as other things so she can have MORE fun with the it. She is hellbent on NOT wanting to lower it tho, but is still pretty open to mods.

BTW, my lips and mouth are already tired from "motorboating" and dont have anymore energy to make the pssssssssshhhh sounds myself anymore!

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this morning I installed a K&N panel filter on my girls car. While in there, I removed the pastic engine cover and examined the BOV. I located the recirc tube, and disconnected it. I can hear the turbo better now, and get the wwssshhhhhhhh sound my gf wanted. Sounds decent I guess for stock. It did stumble for a second or less a couple times, but seemingly only under light throttle and lift situations.

Are there any DETRIMENTAL or long term problems if I keep it venting to atmosphere with the occassional stumble associated with it??????

Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
i read i think you had a DSM....

this aint one... you might need to plug that recirc tube back in ... the maf does account for the bpv air so i say plug it back up.... if you want the sound that bad... take the snorkle out and you will be ok.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the "snorkus" is the jug that sits low in the passenger front fender right that hangs off the bottom of the stock filter box?? If so, I have removed that, and didnt notice a sound difference.

I did post a pic of my DSM in the "What was your first car" thread. That car was a non-turbo with the works done to it, but was running off a MAP not a MAF sensor.

The stumble I noticed with my girls FXT is very occassional and as I said, for a VERY SPLIT SECOND.

I just want to know if there are any immediate or long term, ill-effects to disconnecting the recirc hose. I know that a lot of people vent to atmosphere on MAF cars. Are they doing anything differently?? Using some sort of simulator, or anything to combat the stumble???

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
So this morning I installed a K&N panel filter on my girls car. While in there, I removed the pastic engine cover and examined the BOV. I located the recirc tube, and disconnected it. I can hear the turbo better now, and get the wwssshhhhhhhh sound my gf wanted. Sounds decent I guess for stock. It did stumble for a second or less a couple times, but seemingly only under light throttle and lift situations.

Are there any DETRIMENTAL or long term problems if I keep it venting to atmosphere with the occassional stumble associated with it??????

Thanks
Jonathan
:confused::crazy::huh::icon_mad::shrug:

jonathan, put the tools away and step away from the forester! right now, seriously.... :biggrin:

ok please just go buy a recirc bov so you dont blow up your car. i cant believe the lengths and things you are willing to sacrifice for a bov noise. your car is already running like crap because of this, hence the stumbling. i guess you are hellbent on having a blown up 09, leave this car alone! the newer forester dont react well to modifications unless tuned for them. please dont learn the hard way...

this thread should be stickied, "what not to do..." please thuroughly read this thread, especially the highlighted red halfway down....

Blow Off Valve FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused::crazy::huh::icon_mad::shrug:

jonathan, put the tools away and step away from the forester! right now, seriously.... :biggrin:

ok please just go buy a recirc bov so you dont blow up your car. i cant believe the lengths and things you are willing to sacrifice for a bov noise. your car is already running like crap because of this, hence the stumbling. i guess you are hellbent on having a blown up 09, leave this car alone! the newer forester dont react well to modifications unless tuned for them. please dont learn the hard way...

this thread should be stickied, "what not to do..." please thuroughly read this thread, especially the highlighted red halfway down....

Blow Off Valve FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
OK, so I can take your response with a grain of salt. However, I am fairly knowledgeable about cars. I have installed many parts, and have done engine swaps etc.

The FXT is not MINE, it belongs to the GF. I did state that my gf wanted the sound, not me.

Thanks for leading me to the FAQ link you posted. It was informative, however, I did not see anything saying that the car was likely to blow up. I will re-install the hose just for safety reasons. I am new to the Scooby's so pardon my ignorance. Thats why I am asking questions to try to gather info. The car is not running like crap, it stumbles occassionally, and I assume LESS than a manual car since all 09 FXT's are autos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think your job should have been talking her out of a BOV. :Banane35:

Also, since you have access to the internet your process of car modification should go:

1. I want to do X
2. Forums > Search
3. Can't find topic. Post > Should/can I do X?
4. Find possible second opinion and weigh options
5. Do/Don't Do X

You did this:

1. Do X
2. Post > I don't know much about Subarus, should I have done X?

:crazy:

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think your job should have been talking her out of a BOV. :Banane35:

Also, since you have access to the internet your process of car modification should go:

1. I want to do X
2. Forums > Search
3. Can't find topic. Post > Should/can I do X?
4. Find possible second opinion and weigh options
5. Do/Don't Do X

You did this:

1. Do X
2. Post > I don't know much about Subarus, should I have done X?:crazy:

Wow, tough crowd!

Judging from my join date of May 2009, and my post count (18) now 19, I feel confident in saying that I did more looking around rather than posting B.S. just to get my post count going and acting like I knew and know what's going on around here.

I did search ( thats all I have done ) and I threw out a few facts that I found in my original post as to what I found thus far. I was looking into more guidance/opinions/experiences by asking questions. I experimented with one thing that I didnt feel would blow up the car, and these are the responses I get from you all.

That said, I understand what you are saying about the mods as you all have MORE experience with Subaru's than I, but to start throwing out accusations as to what I have done vs. what I should have done, I feel are wrong. I've searched, I thought about things etc. I'm not a newbie to cars, just Subaru's.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
dude you quite possibly did the #1 stupidest thing of 2009, we are trying to be nice. i guess its falling upon deaf ears...

sf.org is like all lollipops and bubblegum - post this on nasioc and watch the hilarity insue... it would be more like this: :mob:

despite your vast automotive knowledge, LOL - my guess is this is your first turbocharged car. you have a lot to learn, please read all the faqs. itll make ya think twice b4 you open the hood on a brand new car and start disconnecting hoses blindly, w/out knowing the consenquences... your car might not blow up 2day, but if this is just the tip of the iceberg of your "subie modding" it will.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
you ask a question... people have answered.. you do something else and we inform you thats its not good. what else do you want us to do????

so what if she wants the sound.. you can explain to her that the "sound" is not good for her car...and on a automatic its even more of a waste. if this is too much of answer the way we told you..ask the same question on n****c and see what happens.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
you might want to consider a short ram intake instead of that k&n drop. it might make the noise you are after and youll be able to leave the stock bov alone. although it will only make sounds when you let off the gas like mentioned above.

b4 you do an intake though, get an ACCESSPORT for engine management. the newer forester ecu's dont like modifications when not tuned for them.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you ask a question... people have answered.. you do something else and we inform you thats its not good. what else do you want us to do????

so what if she wants the sound.. you can explain to her that the "sound" is not good for her car...and on a automatic its even more of a waste. if this is too much of answer the way we told you..ask the same question on n****c and see what happens.

I have asked a few questions, some were answered immediately in a grown-up fashion, and some were later answered in a way less cordial.

This is NOT my first turbo car. I dont have "vast" knowledge about all cars, but I have not been hiding under a rock either. I admitted to both.

I said in my original post that I know a bov is a noise-maker only etc, but I guess there are others out there that feel strongly about me not getting one or using the existing stock one VTA.

I reconnected the hose to the BOV per someone's suggestion. Things said are not falling on deaf ears. Just dont appreciate the tone/sarcasm. Who cares if people are less kind on Nasioc, I am on here, and was not expecting it, even if its to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
I have asked a few questions, some were answered immediately in a grown-up fashion, and some were later answered in a way less cordial.
i am sorry i did present my suggestions in a "not so grown-up" fashion. i only answered the best way i knew how.

This is NOT my first turbo car. I dont have "vast" knowledge about all cars, but I have not been hiding under a rock either. I admitted to both.
yea you did admit both.. but you took what everyone was sharing with you as if they were attacking you, when in fact everyone who commented was trying to let you know why not to.

I reconnected the hose to the BOV per someone's suggestion. Things said are not falling on deaf ears. Just dont appreciate the tone/sarcasm. Who cares if people are less kind on Nasioc, I am on here, and was not expecting it, even if its to a lesser degree.
i dont feel anyone had a certain tone, it seems like when you asked a question, someone answered, then you would try to find a way around it... if that was the case... why ask the question in the first place.

we told you why not to do this, you (or your woman) wants it, we tell you how to do it without hurting the vehicle and you feel like we are being sarcastic??? ok well i dont know how to help you at all....

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,366 Posts
1. Would the recirc BOV still be audible enuff to have disregarding any performance factors? ( I understand that BOV's are just a noise maker until heavy mods come ) Probably not

The only way that I know of to safely and reliably get the "psshhh" sound she wants is to modify the car pre-MAF. Once the air is seen by the MAF it is metered. By removing the bypass tubing or installing a venting BOV you are removing metered air, you are changing/removing what the car has calculated to be there. The stumbling is an indication that something is not right. Since you state that you are mechanically knowledgeable in turbocharged cars, I think it is your obligation as her bf to tell her it is not a good idea.

I am running an SPT short ram intake and I can easily hear the BOV from inside the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts