Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my 04 XT 4eat(a replaced 06 trans after the oem died) has begun to suffer badly from torque steer. My tech has been all over the front end 3 times and nuttin' is amiss down there. He did one axle, new bushings. It's getting worse and he suggest it the tranny somehow. Can a transfer box cause this? We're at aloss. The symptom is almost a lane change when hitting the trottle hard if I let the wheel go. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,909 Posts
@Jeffn Subarus due to not being transverse mounted engine and transmission, do not have unequal length CV axles. Therefore do not exhibit torque steering. So potentially you may not have matching CV axles? Transmission not centred on vehicle. Front differential is not supplying equal power to both sides.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bman400 Wow, your last assertion may be it. I wonder if I unplug the rear diff with the fuse trick, how that might isolate the condition. I recall doing it once and the thing roasted the front tire from a standstill on dry pavement with any kind of
heavy footwork, not unlike my old GTO back in the day. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,909 Posts
@bman400 Wow, your last assertion may be it. I wonder if I unplug the rear diff with the fuse trick, how that might isolate the condition. I recall doing it once and the thing roasted the front tire from a standstill on dry pavement with any kind of
heavy footwork, not unlike my old GTO back in the day. Thanks.
Yup, if you use the fuse trick. All the power will go through the front diff and likely increase the "torque steer".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts