Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 AW FXTi
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've waited long enough to do this, and now that I have some somewhat decent photos it's probably time.

Way back in 2001, I unexpectedly ran into an old college friend at a mutual friend's house. Turns out he had just bought (and modified) a brand new 2002 WRX wagon. In our college days, I was in the car with him when he rolled 3 tires off the rims on his old Ford Probe GT. This feat was performed on campus while trying to learn how to do e-brake 180s like you see on TV and such. That was quite an experience, and I was a little hesitant to go for a ride when he offered, despite having never ridden in a WRX. It was dark out, so I didn't really get a good look at his car, and I was admittedly uneducated on Subaru modifications at the time. He did the stuff that was typical at the time - Vishnu TMIC, VF30, JDM 4/2 pots, Vishnu tune, etc.

Long story short, that little ride around Pacifica and South SF was enough to convince me that I had to have a Subaru of my own. So, 4 years later I bought a used 1999 Impreza L wagon in the Aspen White variety, and did a few simple mods to make it more fun.

That photo was taken with my iPhone 1.0 and then poorly tilt-shifted by yours truly. As previously stated, the mods were pretty simple:
  • 02-04 WRX wheels
  • 225/50R16 tires - no rubbing!
  • Ver. 6 struts
  • Tanabe GF210 springs
  • STi 20mm RSB
  • Kartboy short shifter
  • Momo shift knob

Somewhere in my course of my L ownership I borrowed my former bosses 04 FXT Limited to run some errands around SF while my girlfriend (now wife) was using my car for something else. Even though it was an auto and I've only ever had 5MT cars with one exception (Jeep), and even though his whippets had chewed the upholstery to death, I fell in love. I was finishing up my degree still - on the 11 year plan - so I couldn't exactly rush out to buy a new car so I threw around the idea of swapping my L, which would have been awesome but also expensive - in the neighborhood of 12K to do it the way I wanted. Needless to say, I just figured it wasn't the best plan. I began a relentless search of the various for-sale boards and craigslists - probably almost 2 years worth. Once I finished school and started my career, I started saving and looking more seriously. Finally toward the end of December 2009, I found what I was looking for.

Some of you may remember this being up for sale by a user named Norester, then off-sale, then back up for sale around that timeframe. Him and I talked back and forth A LOT for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for a sizable check to arrive. He was nice enough to wait for me, and on January 23, 2010 I flew down to LA with $12,000 in a ziploc bag in my backpack and left plus one Forester XT and minus $11,500. I think I had a smile on my face the whole drive back to San Francisco. Not having to downshift going up hills - it's what makes a Forester XT, a Forester XT. There were some nice mods already done to this car:

• Lowered
  • Tinted
  • 17x8" Rota Rev wheels
  • 245/45R17 Toyo Proxes 4 tires
  • Invidia catless uppipe
  • STi control arms
  • STi 20mm rear sway bar
  • Whiteline 24mm front sway bar

·
Registered
2005 AW FXTi
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's a current list of mods, separated by category. I wish I would have documented the install process for all of the future tuners of America who may be reading this crap, but I was far too impatient.

Engine/Transmission
- 2006 STi VF39 turbo
- 2006 STi TMIC + BPV
- Cobb bellmouth catted downpipe
- MadDad equal length header with v-band uppipe, double heat wrapped. No more leaky 3-bolt flange from header to up.
- Injen FXT-specific 3” stainless catback exhaust
- Kartboy exhaust hangers
- STi oil pan, pickup, windage tray, and dipstick
- 2004 wrx oil cooler and lines
- Fumoto oil drain valve
- GrimmSpeed recirculating air/oil separator
- Cobb AP v.2
- Fine Line Imports Stage 3 tune (260/280 whp/tq)
- Mode Racing double-adjustable short shifter
- Cobb copolymer shift knob
- Kartboy shift bushings

Suspension/Undercarriage/Handling
- 2004 STi struts
- Epic Engineering springs
- 2004 STi front control arms
- 2004 STi steering rack
- Whiteline Com-C front top hats
- Whiteline RCA kit
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- Whiteline rear subframe outrigger bushings
- Whiteline removable rear strut tower brace
- Whiteline 24mm adjustable front sway bar (stock endlinks)
- Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear sway bar w/ braces
- Cobb adjustable rear sway bar mounts
- Energy Suspension greasable rear sway bar bushings
- MSI rear end links
- Kartboy subframe locking bolts

Brakes
- 2005 STi Master cylinder & brake booster
- 2006 STi Brembo front calipers
- 2006 STi Brembo rear calipers
- DBA 4000 slotted front rotors
- DBA 4000 slotted rear conversion rotors (170mm hat)
- KNSBrakes.com rear conversion brackets
- Technafit SS coated brake lines
- ATE Super Blue fluid

Wheels and Tires
- Enkei RPF1 18x8 +45 in F-1 silver
- Blue alloy valve stems
- Dunlop Direzza DZ101 in the 235/40R18 variety

Interior
- 05 WRX front seats
- 2006 STi steering wheel
- 2007 STi Limited shifter trim
- WeatherTech rubber floor mats
- Cobb carpeted floor mats
- OEM trunk rubber cargo mat

Exterior
- Roof cross bar delete
- Germanplates.com fake German license plate
- Hella Supertones behind grille

·
Registered
2005 AW FXTi
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are still a few things I'd like to do in the medium-range future. These additions are as follows:

- JDM red hazard button
- STi lateral links
- TD06-20G or Blouch Polka Pickle
- Aquamist HFS-6 water/meth
- Process West TMIC + splitter
- PE 850 injectors
- Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
- Retune!

Final thought: I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Steve, Ryan, and Miles at Fine Line Imports. They've been nothing but professional and patient with me and my 1,897,962 questions. They've gone above and beyond every single time my car's been on their lift, and I've never left there upset or disappointed. If you own a Subaru and live in the bay area, specifically the North bay, you owe it to yourself to have them perform the service and maintenance you can't do yourself. It is highly unlikely that I will ever go anywhere else.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
I considered buying that Foz at one point haha. I'm glad you found yourself the right car and I'm sure you're in love with it! Is it safe to say that our cars are brothers? I think so! :lol:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
68 Posts
You have one amazing Forester Walter it has made a huge transformation from when it first showed up at the shop. Its a blast to drive and I hope you enjoy it as much as we like working on it.

Ryan Smith
Fine Line Imports

·
Registered
2005 AW FXTi
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooo I have some parts to go on, but they aren't that exciting. Well, to me they are, but to others they're probably somewhat pedestrian.

• Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
  • 2007 OEM headunit
  • 2007 OEM aux input jack for the ashtray.
  • Front fender braces

I'm still trying to find the correct cables so that I can keep my stock subwoofer in the back but still run the aux input with the new deck. It's a bit of a trick to get it all to work together, but thanks to some clever members here I am well on my way. It would all be far too simple if things were just plug-and-play.

I also need to give my window/mirror gussets a squeeze, as the wind noise at highway speed is deafening and completely annoying. We shall see!

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Nice job all round... One of my favorite Foresters on here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts