Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

After a long and fruitful walking career, my Brasher boots have finally come to the point where retirement is inevitable :icon_sad:

After three re-soles, numerous pairs of laces and several thousand miles, they have split and are leaking water :shake:

I am looking at another pair of Brashers as they are super comfy but sole strength has not been their strong point and I generally wear a pair of soles out in around 10 months.

Anyone got any suggestions on stout walking boots? They must be leather, they must be black or brown (as I wear them when working at Manny airport) and they must be waterproof. Budget is upto £200.

I walk any where between 5-10 miles a day with the dogs, maybe more at weekend, mainly on unpaved tracks, woodland walks or round town.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Folks,

After a long and fruitful walking career, my Brasher boots have finally come to the point where retirement is inevitable :icon_sad:

After three re-soles, numerous pairs of laces and several thousand miles, they have split and are leaking water :shake:

I am looking at another pair of Brashers as they are super comfy but sole strength has not been their strong point and I generally wear a pair of soles out in around 10 months.

Anyone got any suggestions on stout walking boots? They must be leather, they must be black or brown (as I wear them when working at Manny airport) and they must be waterproof. Budget is upto £200.

I walk any where between 5-10 miles a day with the dogs, maybe more at weekend, mainly on unpaved tracks, woodland walks or round town.

cheers
Mike
How high do you like them? I use Altbergs for everything and have the gore-tex lined ones but they are high.

I have these:

Altberg Bootmakers - Richmond, North Yorkshire

They even make made to measure.

·
Registered
2006 sti forester,TR6 6 speed manual
173 Posts
can recomend Altberg they supply the police and army and will put steel toe caps if need and a walking shoe with a boot tread My own boots have the heel rounded for driving in as does the police boots+ some great driving roads round the dales!!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 XT Lineartronic CVT
71 Posts
I've walked extensively in the Lake District and many other areas and have used Brashers for many years. I was convinced I would replace them with the same brand when the leather on mine split as they had always given good service.
However I decided to look about at what was available and during the process tried a pair of Meindl (Borneo's). From the instant I put them on I was impressed and have had them for much longer than any other boots.

Well recommended.:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
My wife and I both use Scarpa SL M3 boots, can't rate them highly enough. Good for general walking but stiff enough for when we are in the lakes doing harder stuff.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
I'd say Scarpa, but was shopping for boots on Sat and came across a pair of Brasher walking boots in full brown leather at the sports store at the local retial park. £150 down to £75. Bargain.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
94 Posts
No recommendations on boots, sorry, but I gave up trying to find waterproof footwear for hiking and cycling years ago and took a different tack - waterproof socks. I've been using socks from these guys for years - each pair lasts me about 2-3yrs.

sealskinz.com waterproof socks and gloves clothing from porvair international

This allows me to spend less money on the boots and not have to worry about leaks developing or water coming over the top of the boot - even putting on wet boots is not a problem.

Cheers - Steve

Folks,

cheers
Mike

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like another pair of Timberlands but they've gone really crap. They used to be very good quality, very hard wearing and very waterproof, but I bought some boots in 2005 and they lasted about 10 months before they split. Not impressed but it seems Timberland had gone down the "Sports wear and cheap" route. The thing I like about Brasher is you can wear them straight out of the box and there dead comfy. I akin them to big slippers they are that comfy even on the really rocky stuff round here and when i'm walking round Cornwall.

Had a look at the boots suggested, cheers for these, and am currently comparing.

MDG where did you see the brasher for £75, and what model where they?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The top end Karrimors (not the cheap logo junky stuff) is really good, I don't walk that much but would say that mine have probably done as many miles as you would do in 15months or so and are still as new.

Simon

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
I have Meindl Burma MFS Pros - top boots. The are super comfortable straight out of the box due to the memory foam too.
They have more than adequately replaced my first pair of walking boots that were still going (apart from severely worn out sole) after 25 years !!!

Retailing around the £125 - £150 mark now, although were up in the £180s last year.

They're a lot darker than the pics look in reality - especially after they've just been rewaxed.

Upper - Sil-nubuk leather
Lining - GORE-TEX®
Footbed - Air-Active®
Sole - Meindl Multigriff® -Sohle von Vibram
Weight approx. - 790 g (size 8)
Sizes - 6 - 12

MEINDL footwear
For over 300 years, the Meindl family, have produced quality handmade footwear in their factory in Kirchanschöring, Bavaria. They employ more than 200 workers and make in excess of one million pairs of boots a year, exporting some 50% of their boots all around the world.

MEINDL is now one of the few footwear manufacturers actually producing quality handmade boots in Germany. This shoemaking tradition is now in its 11th generation, managed by Lars and Lukas Meindl who continue Meindl’s promise to produce high quality footwear. Every pair of boots are hand crafted, so we know you will feel the difference as soon as you try on a pair of Meindl boots.

Review:
MEINDL - Burma Pro MFS IT'S GOOD This is a modern classic that changed the marketplace when it arrived on the scene many years ago. It has been a frequent winner of 3 season boot tests in TRAIL. It's success has been due to a mix of features that are all dedicated to performance on the hill. So you get a good leather upper, with a Gore-Tex waterproof lining. There is also a large amount of padding inside that makes it very comfortable straight from the box. The upper offers plenty of protection and support, and there is a rubber rand to add the the durability. Underfoot a duel density Vibram sole unit provides excellent support and comfort while the sole flex and lug pattern are ideal for a variety of valley, hill and mountain terrain. If you can afford the price tag this is a highly recommended boot that's exceptionally hard to beat on performance.

Review from TRAIL Magazine May 2009

January 4, 2009 by Graham Thompson, The Times

MEINDL BURMA MFS
If you need to burn off any Christmas excess, try some winter walking. Graham Thompson puts five hardy pairs of boots through their paces

BEST FOR ALL-ROUND HILL-WALKING
MEINDL BURMA PRO MFS
The original Burma was one of the first leather boots to be both supportive and comfortable enough to wear straight out of the box. Its modern incarnation adds MFS (Memory Foam System) — an inner lining, which, when warmed by your body temperature, softens and adjusts to the shape of your foot. There is also a waterproof Gore-Tex lining. These boots will see you safely through all hill conditions: the sole has enough grip to keep you moving over winter mud and slush, while the bouncy, well-cushioned ride is ideal for negotiating hard rock paths.
Verdict: Long-lasting, built from top-quality materials and comfortable too.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
I would like another pair of Timberlands but they've gone really crap. They used to be very good quality, very hard wearing and very waterproof, but I bought some boots in 2005 and they lasted about 10 months before they split. Not impressed but it seems Timberland had gone down the "Sports wear and cheap" route. The thing I like about Brasher is you can wear them straight out of the box and there dead comfy. I akin them to big slippers they are that comfy even on the really rocky stuff round here and when i'm walking round Cornwall.

Had a look at the boots suggested, cheers for these, and am currently comparing.

MDG where did you see the brasher for £75, and what model where they?
Must have had them in store only as not on web site. Still some bargains in though...

http://www.sportsdirect.com/

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,242 Posts
I bought a pair of black Meindl Army Gore from Altimus for £140 and they are fabulous. I have small feet, but of different widths, and these are the first boots to ever fit me properly.

Altimus is the first place in 20 years that has measured my feet (they spent 20 minutes with me, including watching me walk) and I cannot praise them highly enough.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts