Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Any knowledgeable VW people here that can recommend a good forum? I've owned aircooled VWs and an '82 Scirocco before, but this would be regarding a '97 Passat GLX -- B4 platform, VR6.

Thank you much,

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
if you though Nasioc was bad, get ready for thevwvortex

best thing is the model specific areas, there are a lot of very good people on there, but they are hiding deep in the sub-sections, far away from the carlounge..

spend some time looking through the info and FAQs. This forum has bee there forever, so your questions are probably already there.

good luck.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Ya there is a great amount of snobbery there. If you do venture into the car lounge, say hi to VWLarry for me. He's a great guy.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thank you, I'll dig around vwvortex some more.

I'm looking at trading the Miata for a '97 GLX 5-speed sedan with 100K. Immediate work would include replacing the passenger-side CV joint (or whole axle?) and possibly motor mounts, struts would be nice to do as well. Looking to learn quickly and need experienced input on suspension options and such.

Thanks much,

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I'm looking at trading the Miata for a '97 GLX 5-speed sedan with 100K.
Stan
What are you looking for in a vw?
there are a few fast ones out there, and they can be made to handle pretty good for a fwd, but I think your going to find more vw to miata guys than the other way around :biggrin:

I was a vw guy before all this subaru dirt craziness..
at one point we had his and hers mk2, and my 97 GT;

then my I need an aircooled phase

but my vw blood lives on through our westy these days;

Still if a ealry 60s ghia 'vert came up in my part of the country that wasn't rusted in 2 I would gladly have a relapse :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one guy at a Miata meet I go to sometimes was interested in buying my Miata for his wife. They came over to check it out yesterdays, and I said "I like your Passat.." He's had that thing for 7 or 8 years and was thinking of selling it anyway to make room for the "new" Miata, so a trade would work out pretty well.

The Miata isn't very practical. It's an awesome toy and track car, but the very few HPDEs I go to can be handled by the Forester. I'd rather replace the Miata with a more "family-friendly" vehicle. I'm not looking to make it fast or anything, just need a quiet, comfortable car that will carry at least 3 people.

I love VWs. I have the Ducati now for my "need an aircooled" part, so I have that covered.

Stan

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Stan, are you OK? :N_poke:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
hmm, Passat? really? the only thing worse would possibly be a Corrado.. :biggrin:

I would avoid Pissants in your search for VWs, not that there aren't jewels out there, just that there are more turds in that particular model.

'dubs come in two flavors;

a)breadnbutter; Jetta, golf, beetle, bus.. etc lots of them out there, still running around happily, not too much of a pain, parts are available..

b)oddball; corrado, passat, Type2, eurovan.. hmm, don't see many of those around, the ones you do the people are usually trying to get rid of..

Plus factor in vws less than stellar 13 year old wiring and you may have issues. For sure don't do the trade until you have the vw inspected..

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Has the timing chain been replaced? I found that out the hard way with my old VR6 GTI.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Passat World Forums - Powered by vBulletin

VWvortex is the NASIOC of the VW world.

Dasboot (Mario) on here has a hooked-up passat wagon, and he can probably tell you all of the idiosyncrasies to be aware of.

I owned an '02 Passat V6 GlX 4Motion before it was totaled. It was a great car, but maintenance was a bit expensive. i.e. ~$400 to do an ATF flush. They're awesome highway cars - my GLX would do 85+ mph all day long, if I wanted, without breaking a sweat. The B5/B5.5 models shared the same platform as the Audi A4.

In my opinion, VWs (and most other German cars) are durable but not reliable, whereas most Japanese cars are reliable but not durable. It's up to the owner what category he/she wants to be in... :)

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was looking at PassatWorld at first but the "B4" section was not very active and had posts recommending going to VWvortex. There should be enough info for me in those 2 forums though.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, call me crazy. I have a new daily beater.

I need to vacuum it, the interior is dirty, but should clean up alright. Exterior is in pretty good shape, tires are good. Shocks are obviously worn but that can wait. CV joint clicks, that's on the list. Ignition switch broke, so the PO's solution was hooking it up with a remote start feature -- pretty cool, push a button on the alarm fob twise, the car starts. Motor mounts will need to be replaced as I can feel the engine moving around. ABS light comes on/off. In other words, perfect sub-$2,000 beater.

Took it out for a mandatory twisties run last night -- handles pretty well :icon_biggrin: It is very quiet and smooth, too. It is a long car, feels very stable and there is lots of room in the back seat. It is great on the highway. The VR6 is AWESOME -- very smooth, good power, torque on tap. I'm sure it goes through some oil, we'll see how much.

Overall, over 100 miles so far and it's as great as a used beater can be. I will invest in AAA membership and put it to daily use LOL.

Here it is, FULL of WIN:

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
nice, congrats on the daily driver.
it looks good, and you will enjoy the VR6. :biggrin:
just be ready to pull the plug if it starts sucking money..

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Nice color! Here's my old beast. Now go and have the resonator removed, with the stock muffler and no resonator the VR6 sounds amazing!

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks guys. ^^ Nice wagon! What springs are on it?

What shocks are preferred for these things, Bilstein HDs? I've used cheapo Cofaps on my Beetle before, they were alright. The timing chains haven't been done, I'm contemplating running it as-is and listening for rattles. Alternatively, I'd drop the tranny, do the chains, clutch (current clutch is still good), motor mounts, cv joint.. PO was thinking of pulling the engine to do all that. Thermostat housing and crack pipe has been done, and it came with a spare billet aluminum crack pipe.

I love the fact that this thing is so quiet, I doubt I'll pull the resonator just yet. Curious to try, though.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I had Koni Coilovers on it. Rode like a dream. On my vr GTI I had absolutely no warning signs before the timing chain snapped. No rattles or anything, just got in it one day and SNAP! I'd do all the work asap just for the peace-of-mind factor. Oh, and here's my old GTI. I still see it running around town and get a little teary eyed:

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ I always loved those, beautiful cars.

Stan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts