Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
if yours looks anything like mine which has been stood all week then you can probably write your name in the dust!

I was going to wax mine tommorow but if this continues then I dont think so.

I suppose as long as you dont run the stuff into your paint work then it should be okay!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
You folks may want to reconsider leaving the ash on the vehicle, good luck with it.

As the snow melts the ash will move along the paint job and it can cause minuscule scratches. Ash can cause corrosion and may be electrically conductive and can be mildly acidic as well.

Volcanic ash is highly disruptive to economic activity because it covers just about everything, infiltrates most openings, and is highly abrasive. Airborne ash can obscure sunlight to cause temporary darkness and reduce visibility to zero. Ash is slippery, especially when wet; roads, highways, and airport runways may become impassable. Automobile and jet engines may stall from ash-clogged air filters and moving parts can be damaged from abrasion, including bearings, brakes, and transmissions.

So, in a nutshell, do as much as you can to remove the ash as soon as you can, and change the air filter before starting the vehicle.
Source(s):
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/Vol…

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You folks may want to reconsider leaving the ash on the vehicle, good luck with it.

As the snow melts the ash will move along the paint job and it can cause minuscule scratches. Ash can cause corrosion and may be electrically conductive and can be mildly acidic as well.

Volcanic ash is highly disruptive to economic activity because it covers just about everything, infiltrates most openings, and is highly abrasive. Airborne ash can obscure sunlight to cause temporary darkness and reduce visibility to zero. Ash is slippery, especially when wet; roads, highways, and airport runways may become impassable. Automobile and jet engines may stall from ash-clogged air filters and moving parts can be damaged from abrasion, including bearings, brakes, and transmissions.

So, in a nutshell, do as much as you can to remove the ash as soon as you can, and change the air filter before starting the vehicle.
Source(s):
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/Vol…
Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. This link may work better, scroll down to vehicles for info http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/trans/index.html

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,760 Posts
I was just talking to my sister about that today. I remember when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980(I was 13). The ash cloud hit us 2 days later, and there was a layer of ash covering everything outside. That's nasty conditions to have to deal with.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
I was just talking to my sister about that today. I remember when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980(I was 13). The ash cloud hit us 2 days later, and there was a layer of ash covering everything outside. That's nasty conditions to have to deal with.
I was about the same age when she blew her top...and it was just nasty

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Nothing here in south-eastern France either, but then at the time Tchernobyl exploded, the French were told by their government that the radioactive cloud stopped at the border... :crazy:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
So is there really a lot of dust falling in Europe ? Post your pics guys , woudl be interesting to see.
heres mine, first picture is a bit crappy, but the second is of the roof!

All jet washed off today and even had to vac the inside as well. Car is now wrapped in a car cover. :crazy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
^^ Neato, thanks ! Think on the bright side, volcanic ash is supposed to be great fertizlier so it will benefit your garden (if it doesn't smother it entirely).

On the Mt. St.Helen's note , I was in Boy Scouts when that happened and some of the troops from WA gave us bags of ash. I still have mine in a box with some rocks I used to collect way back.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Nothing here at all, but then I'm stuck in India with no ruddy flights home!

Best advice is to 'blow' as much off as possible dry, then hose off with copious amounts of water.

Don't run wipers to clear the ash as you'll scratch the screen and wreck the blades!

Simon

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
My car is dirty, but then it's always dirty so I have no idea if it's ash or not.

I think we have a bit more to worry about here than what it might do to our cars ...:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I would post a pic...... but im stuck in Amsterdam.!

talk about cashing in on a "Natural Disaster"

hotels in Amsterdam are anything from €500 to €1500 per night.... not including breakfast!

the taxis have trippled their prices! (a 10 mile trip now costs about £50)

the cheapest rental car is €1200 euro (Opel Meriva!)

Its total Chaos over here!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts