Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 F150 FX4 6 sp Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I think there may be a couple of you in Jamestown area of NY; I have an offbeat inquiry...
So, my wife's grandma is dying and we've scheduled an emergency trip after the new year. We're currently travelling in Florida.
I'm thinking of how to get us up there, would love to drive the forester but don't have snow tires and it would take a long time; where time is of the essence when she goes off her feeding tube on the second or third of Jan (this is her choice). So, we'll probably fly in to Buffalo or Erie. We want her to meet her great-granddaughter before she passes. Any chance a forum member could rent me their car?

I know it sounds crazy but even when you ask for a rental with AWD + snow tires you don't get a Subaru. I would be willing to pay as much as a rental. I'm a safe driver, no points on florida DL. No accidents that were ever my fault. I'd prefer an 09+ Forester, but older is also good. Manual or auto, need a car seat.

got the idea from here: https://relayrides.com/how-it-works

my apologies in advance if this is not ok for the forum, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
09 F150 FX4 6 sp Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? Erie or Buffalo?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
I was going to suggest relayrides.com, but it looks like NY is out of the loop for now. Have you checked with Hertz, Avis, and Budget and asked specifically to rent a Subaru? SOA used to claim on their website that those companies offer Subaru rentals at most major airports in the northern US.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
Just rent a CRV or Hundai, etc AWD. Maybe not as good but you are not going OffRoad.

·
Registered
09 F150 FX4 6 sp Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, thanks...flights are looking pretty insane. I think we might just drive it. Ends up being about 1/5 the price and we have the time....
Now I just need to figure out winter tires....does this sound insane? I don't think I'll ever use winter tires again, although I do technically have a storage unit for them under AC....

Actually we might drive up to Vermont next year for Christmas/early Jan, so maybe I just get a set of winter tires for the travelling Forry...
trying to sell them on the forum might be cost prohibitive shipping wise, so how long could tires last in a climate controlled storage unit??

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Just as a heads up, we are(tri-state area) suppose to have snow Thursday and Friday and then very cold weather this weekend coming out of the artic. Jamestown looks to be in that storm. Please plan accordingly and drive safe.

·
Registered
09 F150 FX4 6 sp Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, I'll be planning to have cold weather gear. Like someone said, we won't be offroading, but I know Jamestown will be about 9 degrees (high) on Saturday and they get TONS of snow.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
so how long could tires last in a climate controlled storage unit??
Forever..they are not exposed to UV Liight.

I would consider good All season tires that would handle some snow.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
That is a good deal on those Signet. Even if tire itself isn't the greatest...that tread design is fabulous.

Just make sure "what Subie rims"...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts