Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just had a replacement screen put on the XT. There is a gap in the heating element to see a visible VIN plate. All good, except mine doesn't have one. Does anyone have an '04 Forester to confirm if this is normal? Not sure if I never noticed before as it may have not had the clear glass in the first place.

Cheers,

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Any UK spec car at 2004 should have visible VIN....
possibles
1/ Not UK car but Grey Euro import (Cyprus is common), so no VIS VIN and no window in screen
2/ Vis VIN has been previously damaged when earlier screen replacement and removed
3/ Its a ringer

I would suspect 1 poss 2 most likely, what alarm/immobiliser does it have.

Simon

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

It has a Subaru Cat 1 alarm. All other VIN plates are present and untampered as well as the VIN stamped into actual chassis by bulkhead. Subaru UK are also looking into it as they weren't sure when they introduced vis vin.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
My 05 has this VIN plate under the window but it looks to be made of flimsy black plastic held in place with two plastic poppers so I can see how it could easily be damaged during a screen change.

If that's what happened, of course...

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have just looked in the manual and it doesn't list there being a visible VIN, only the other plates under the bonnet and on the door. If anyone does have an '04 XT or earlier could have a look to confirm I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it SHOULD have one. The car checks out fine so I can only imagine it was damaged by the windscreen fitter. It's going back to the windscreen company anyhow as it needs redoing plus they took a chunk of paint off when fitting the thing.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved. As the installers had scratched the pillar (repaired by Revive- highly recommended for scratches as they did proper good job), damaged the interior trim and not sealed the screen properly it went back in yesterday for another screen. Turned out the installer fitted it too low and so vin plate couldn't be seen. New screen and vin now as they should be. Don't use National Windscreens in Watford. Cowboys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts