Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order a 2022 Forester Touring and don't care how long it takes. So I requested a VIP referral from my VIP-associated organization and received it. The dealer they sent me to seems bound and determined to ignore the program rules: "we won't know the Invoice until the car is built" -- but they have full MSRP listings. . . They say they will order the car for me with no obligation to take it, and it will take 12 weeks -- no problem there. So I say just confirm that this is an order within 45days of the VIP issuance -- required for it to apply -- and crickets. . .

When I bought my '20 Touring from the same dealer it was the same story I was shown a discounted price list, but it was only about $1K off -- not Invoice, and the first deal offered was terrible. Only after shopping other dealers and getting 2 better offers without VIP did they drop off another grand, but with less favorable Lease interest than my previous lease -- with Excellent credit.

Is this typical of VIP? Should I complain to Subaru?

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
604 Posts
dealers are not "required" to take vip pricing. with the current state of inventory I doubt youl find anyone will to take under invoice when the dealer can sell to someone else for over msrp. sounds like yo just have a poopty dealer.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
... and remember that we're still in the throes of a world-wide shortage of computer chips that has delayed the production of many new vehicles and there and production lines can be shut down or slowed for a few more months.

The VIP program is - I'm sure - voluntary and they may not be required to participate.

And they probably would not know the invoice of the vehicle until it is ordered BECAUSE until the order is placed, they do not know the equipment (optional) that is on the vehicle. So if they were to give you a price based upon a 2022 Limited with all the options and then they got a Limited with NO options, you'd be pissed off because they overcharged you or charged you for options you didn't get. OR the reverse - they invoice you for a Limited with no options and you get a fully optioned one...

Have a little patience. The market for new cars (and used cars) is still in major turmoil due to the COVID pandemic and all of the slow-downs, shut-downs and shipping challenges that started sometime last year and is still being worked out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seems to be some misunderstandings among the replies so far:
The program is voluntary, but Subaru is not supposed to refer to dealers that opted out.
I provided a full option list, the car would be ordered with those specific options, just like all the other Subaru's I have ordered -- this would be my 11th.
The VIP Form requires them to list the Invoice price, so why conceal it, and after I have signed it they turn it in to Subaru for a subsidy -- this is not charity on the dealer's part.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Then just go buy it from another dealer. If you're not getting what you want, go someplace else. Stop trying to force the dealer to participate with the program the way you want them to. As you had issues previously, why go back there?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport/2018 Crosstrek Prem
316 Posts
There are different vip programs. Is this Subaru vip you get from calling customer service? Or is the friends and family vip? Or dealer vip? There are different conditions and dealer May or may not accept some of the vip programs.
When I used the Subaru employee friend and family vip program recently, dealer is suppose to show me the invoice of the vehicle which our dealer did. I did have the invoice price info from my referring friend and the price is correct except the destination charge is a little higher. I know that charge may be different from region to region, city to city. So, no fighting from me on that. But dealer does not have to show you the invoice prior to purchase. Since OP mention it was this is no obligation deal, dealer does not need to show the price because buyer may take it for price shopping.
Best thing is for OP to read the terms and conditions of the “specific” vip program. If he or she has additional question, call or email the vip program issuer on any question or issue. I am just a consumer and best I can do is telling my experience and it may be different from other.

·
Registered
Future 2022 Forester Wilderness Owner
318 Posts
I'm planning a VIP order of a wilderness soon. I have not actually gone in yet. I'm hoping to do it Friday, but I kinda want to wait so I can know the specifics of accessories and invoice Pricing from external sources like Costco. It is a battle between impatience and cautiousness.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am pleased to report that the dealer finally came thru with a Sold Order Confirmation from Subaru, and reassurance the Invoice will be provided, all of which could have happened the first day, but all's well that (hopefully) ends well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In answer to those who suggested I am just impatient, and it will be easier to get good prices later on, the reason is that if I can get a 2022 at a good price while they are still scarce in the market my 2020 Touring will bring a better price than it will later, when the lots are full of 2022's.

Reactions: zachavm

·
Registered
318 Posts
Totally agree. New cars can still be had at close to pre-covid process with a little work. Used cars though...

Heck it would surprise me to be able to sell a new car bought now for close to the price paid in two years. Even when the parts shortage ends it will take a while to overcome the vehicle shortage. Then it will probably recover slow enough that we won't get much of a oversupply afterward.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
186 Posts
Is this Subaru vip you get from calling customer service?
There is no "VIP" from calling customer service. For folks that are current/past owners of Subarus, customer service will often provide a Loyalty rebate which is typically $500, but sometimes other amounts.

VIP is a formal program associated with certain non-profit partners of Subaru. There are two levels and which you get is dependent on which charity you choose to use for your VIP program donation. There is "2% below invoice" and there is "at invoice". ASPCA and Pennsylvania Horticultural Society are two of those that feature the 2% below invoice benefit. To get immediate benefit, you need to make a $500 donation. PHS also offers the benefit for normal membership donations as low as $60 with a 6 month waiting period before being able to obtain the VIP certificate. The VIP discount applies to new Subaru vehicles, either in-stock or via factory order and any accessories bought concurrently. There are a few minor vehicle exceptions and they are clearly spelled out on the certificate when you receive it from your charity partner. As has been noted, dealers are not required to participate in the program and there have been indications in the various Subaru forums that some dealers who normally do participate are being difficult about supporting the program at the present time including doing things like adding "market price adjustments" on top of any pricing deal. OTHOH, there are dealers out there that are honoring VIP. Shop around.

BTW, unless wording has changed on the certificates for VPI and Loyalty rebates, they can be stacked. I've done this multiple times. The Loyalty rebate is just that...a rebate which means it's a form of payment and has nothing to do with the price you negotiate for your vehicle. Do not even mention it during that process. VIP is strictly a pricing program that provides what is essentially a fixed price for the vehicle that is attractive to the buyer.

·
Registered
318 Posts
@Jim_in_PA No what you said about loyalty rebates doesn't apply to ambassador coupons right? I thought ambassador coupons specifically said no to combining with VIP.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Jim_in_PA No what you said about loyalty rebates doesn't apply to ambassador coupons right? I thought ambassador coupons specifically said no to combining with VIP.
I can't comment on the Ambassador coupon specifically because I'm not familiar with them very much. I do believe you cannot stack them with a Loyalty Rebate, but the actual wording on the certificate is what needs to be followed. There are not a huge number of Ambassador coupons out there, AFAIK.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
604 Posts
ambassadors coupons can not be mixed with VIP pricing or any other offer aside from corp incentive programs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for a thorough explanation of this program's current workings. I suspected it may be different than when I used it last.
Hasn't changed, to the best of my knowledge, at least since 2019 when I used it for the first time, other than PHS moving to immediate certificat distribution only for $500 or more donations. I was able to get it for normal membership donation.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
272 Posts
Why would any company create a program to lose themselves money and help a customer save money? The simpler you keep things, the better off you are in most cases.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why would any company create a program to lose themselves money and help a customer save money? The simpler you keep things, the better off you are in most cases.
VIP doesn't cause the company to lose money. It wouldn't exist if it did. Subaru uses the program to encourage support of non-profit partners, such as the ASPCA and others. That's part of the Subaru culture.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
272 Posts
VIP doesn't cause the company to lose money. It wouldn't exist if it did. Subaru uses the program to encourage support of non-profit partners, such as the ASPCA and others. That's part of the Subaru culture.
Profit is part of the Subaru Culture, and I've yet to find a program number I couldn't beat. Then again I'm willing to spend more time and wait longer than most car buyers. My Forester included a donation directly to the ASPCA, it was $250 I believe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts