Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 14 Forester; Black. I succumbed to the sales pitch at the dealer for the paint sealant (was part of a compromise in the deal) and had what is called Viking Shield applied to the car. Sounded like a good idea for the weather conditions we have in the PacNW. We picked the car up at night. Once in the garage I saw a bothersome area of smudging and distinctive paint swirls in the finish on the hood at a couple areas. I don't like to think of myself as a perfectionist, but it bothers me that such swirls should appear so soon after taking possession of a car that has only 10 miles on it. I also have a black miata and '86 jag; so I know about how to care for a finish. I am cringing about going back so soon to complaint to the dealer and I am looking for the advice of others beforehand. After all, why would I want to fork out money to protect the finish if a service hand uses some abrasive method to buff out what should be a simple wipe-off (or perhaps someone first washed the car and used a brush wand).
Aggravated

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
IMO, this is unacceptable. If it were mine, I'd be right back to the dealer and fully expect them to resolve it to my complete satisfaction.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
"Paint sealant" is really nothing more than a $400 wax job sold to unsuspecting customers to bolster dealer profits, performed by the 17-year old lot jockeys/car washers/detailers at the dealership. I wouldn't expect them to exercise particular care in applying it. Bringing it back will probably not do much, but if you complain loud enough, maybe they'll refund you some of the money you paid for it. I certainly wouldn't let them near the car again for damage control aka swirl removal.

You could buy some polymer-based wax (because that's what it is, it lasts a little longer than regular carnauba wax products) and apply it yourself much cheaper, not to mention more carefully.

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
109 Posts
"Paint sealant" is really nothing more than a $400 wax job sold to unsuspecting customers to bolster dealer profits, performed by the 17-year old lot jockeys/car washers/detailers at the dealership. I wouldn't expect them to exercise particular care in applying it.
+1000. Having worked at a dealership, when I was a teenager, as a detailer this is absolutely true. The cost to the dealer for the time and materials was less than 20 dollars and no one is going to be as particular as the owner in the application.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST 6sp Manual
1 Posts
Just so that everyone is clear, the so-called "Viking Shield" used at this dealership, is not the same as POLISHANGEL'S Viking Shield

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
The swirls suck and I agree, not much to be done about it. I would lodge a complaint, ask for the money back (for the "sealer") but not expect much satisfaction.

The swirls will come out as the "protectant" wears off and you apply a good quality wax yourself. I had the same thing happen years ago when in a moment of weakness, I took my Foz through a brush car wash. It took a few applications of some handing-rubbing love, but the swirls left by those brushes are long gone.

Good luck with the new Foz!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts