Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look at different struts for Subarus, OEM, KYB or Monroe. I'd like to be able to take measurements of struts for older Outbacks, Forester (various years) and Baja. This is a shot in the dark, but anybody friendly with a distributor in the Bay Area that get me some quality time with the struts? :spinnasmiley

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
No, but I just ordered some KYB's for my Forester. I'd be happy to take pic's and measurements if you tell me what your looking for. I'm bidding on some lowering springs for my Impreza right now as well. Not sure if you'd be interested in measurements from something that old or not.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey BigC,
KYB claims that their struts are identical to the OEM units in stroke length and free length dimensions. It would be nice to know if that is true. It would also be good to find out if the KYBs offers extra vertical clearance from the rear tire, since my oversized tires are really close to the spring perch.

Where did you order the KYBs from, and what was the cost, if I may ask?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Ahhh, well the stroke length could be fascinating to test without a way of compressing them off the car... Free length dimentions won't be a problem ;) I suppose we could measure from the top strut bolt up to the perch and see if the distance varies? If you have any insight there that would be cool.

I bought the KYB's from rockauto.com for a total of $256 and shipping to Kansas was $23 on top of that. I thought that was a pretty good deal...

I think Peaty wanted to assist me with this so he could take pics and do a page on scoobymods for the SF's regarding strut installation. With his help, I think I can get you the info and measurements you need plus some good pics. His camera kicks the crap out of mine, lol. :D

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good price! The best I'd found before was $300 shipped from www.ajusa.com

But after shipping to California, the price works out to be the same from either vendor.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is my dilemma. The oversized tires I'm running, 215/65-16, are very close to the rear strut spring perch, especially on the right. So I'm wondering if a different strut has slightly more clearance. I currently have 7mm of clearance:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Ok, your running stock rims correct? I'll look at the strut geometry for you when they come in of course..but I wonder if rims with less offset might work better for you... Anyone with more knowledge here feeeeel free to hop in. I'm not a wheel guru by any sense of the imagination...

edit: I take back the wheel offset suggestion...probably not a good idea. Are you off-roading and is that why you went with oversize tires?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigC said:
Ok, your running stock rims correct? I'll look at the strut geometry for you when they come in of course..but I wonder if rims with less offset might work better for you... Anyone with more knowledge here feeeeel free to hop in. I'm not a wheel guru by any sense of the imagination...

edit: I take back the wheel offset suggestion...probably not a good idea. Are you off-roading and is that why you went with oversize tires?
Yep, stock rims and I wanted larger diameter tires for a bit more ground clearance. These tires are supposed to be about 11mm larger radius than stock, but perhaps they are even a bit larger than that. If I go with different wheels, I'd probably get a little less offset, and 15" diameter. Not ready to do that yet, I just bought these tires!

But you can see that I'd be interested if the spring perch provides a bit more clearance on the GR2s. I need new struts anyway, so I'm also considering KYB Outback struts, since they are fitted with larger OEM tires. If they Outback struts are little longer, that would be a plus!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
If Kevin hasn't seen this thread, you might want to PM him. Maybe just link him here so you don't have to explain it all again. If there's someone that would know about what strut to use with oversize tires in an off-roading situation, it would be Mr. Kevin :)

There is an off-roading forum for Subaru's that might provide some good info as well...I don't have the URL anymore and since we've moved to the new forum and faces have changed I can't remember exactly the screen name of the guy from here that linked me to it. I do know he was the one that had rigged up a switch to lock the diff's for an auto Forester while off-roading. My memory is pathetic...sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigC said:
There is an off-roading forum for Subaru's that might provide some good info as well...
Probably www.OffroadSubarus.com

BigC said:
I do know he was the one that had rigged up a switch to lock the diff's for an auto Forester while off-roading. My memory is pathetic...sorry.
Mighta been me, since I'm pretty sure I was the first one to report on the center diff lock on these two boards.:biggrin: It has been working great for over a year now.

Just found out from Ducktapeguy that his 225/60-16 tires are really close to his GR2 struts, so the answer is likely that the GR2s are same dimensions as OEM. Some have even proposed that KYB might be the manufacturer of the OEM struts.:think: I'd still like the dimensions and some side by side photos if you are able to do it without too much trouble.

So my quest continues, I need to find a place to take some measurements off some Outback struts, I think they have to be pre-99 to have a chance of fitting, that is the rumor over on www.USMB.net anyway.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
MountainBiker said:
Probably www.OffroadSubarus.com

Mighta been me, since I'm pretty sure I was the first one to report on the center diff lock on these two boards.:biggrin: It has been working great for over a year now.
I knew I was gonna look like a schmuck for trying to dig through the gray matter archives :razz: Now it's all starting to come back ;) lol.

Well I'll try and get that data to you as soon as I can. It's going to have to be a weekend project and I know next weekend is half shot already...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigC reported on some dimension here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=3551

In the mean time, I was able to get a hold of KYB struts for the 98-02 Forester and the '96 Outback. You can view my measurement results in the attached file.

It appears to be possible to use the Outback struts on the Forester (might need different top hats). Doing so would give more tire clearance to the rear struts and more height, due to the longer rear Outback strut length. Tire clearance was the reason I looked at the Outback struts, but the fit issues and the decreased stroke make it not worth it for me.

It would be nice to have the table be inserted into this post, rather than being an attachment. Help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forester Front on Left, Outback Front on the right.

Forester Rear on left, Outback Rear on the right.

You can see that the spring perch is higher on the Outback, but also that the spring orientation will need to be different, perhaps requiring the use of the Outback tophat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful but I have a 04 FXT w/JDM FXT STi springs and KYB AGX struts. I also have 17x7.5 Rotas w/235/50/17 Michellin Pilot Sport AS tires. Have no issues w/the struts rubbing the tires but I did need to have the fenders rolled and the actual wheel wells hammered out a bit. I work in Santa Rosa and would be happy to let you take a look/ride. Also, Adam Levy, owner of LIC motorsports in Novato has a previous generation Forester w/AGX struts and would be a great resource for info and can get you any thing you need for your Forester.

- desm0nd

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I work in Santa Rosa too. Do you have your old OEM struts lying around? I'd sure like to measure them.

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
KYB and factory struts are absolutely identical in dimension and design, the only difference in the housing is the color of the paint. KYB is the factory supplier.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Porter said:
KYB and factory struts are absolutely identical in dimension and design, the only difference in the housing is the color of the paint. KYB is the factory supplier.
Yes, I now know that, having taken measurements from the brand new KYB struts. Now I just need to see OEM or KYB GR2 struts from an '04, like DesmOnd's.

desm0nd said:
The old struts are still over at LIC.
Sounds like I need to make a road trip down to LIC to get some measurements!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
MountainBiker said:
Sounds like I need to make a road trip down to LIC to get some measurements!
Wish I had known, I was just there on Friday (had to get a code pulled).

I know Roo is going to stop by there this week to get the oil changed on SViXen, maybe he can measure for you.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I'll shoot him a PM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts