Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
Joined
·
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And by "rock climbing", I really just mean a trail with a ton of big rocks. :biggrin: Went out with a few friends up the Organ Mountain trail. We took it as far as we could before it started to get dark. The climb at the end of the video really surprised me...I had no idea the Foz was capable of it (and neither did any of my friends).

Setup: Completely Stock, balding Yokohama Geolanders, very worn struts, tired springs and no skid plate (still didn't need it).

 

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
Joined
·
1,777 Posts
Setup: Completely Stock, balding Yokohama Geolanders, very worn struts, tired springs and no skid plate (still didn't need it).
Yes,you do.
Off road stock height like that without a skid plate is a disaster waiting to happen.


Nice vid though.
 

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
Joined
·
486 Posts
That was too painful to watch :N_poke: I did like the steep climb at the end, that looked nice :rock:

I'll have to agree with Frogstar, it's just a matter of time :icon_rolleyes: 98% of the times I do not need the skids either, even on the rocky trails. But they sure make me feel more comfortable the other 2% when I loose focus and hear that unexpected rock crunching sound :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Man that was painful to watch, my face hurts.

Favorite quote: "OK there's a big rock right there..."

Thanks for sharing.
 

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
Joined
·
225 Posts
Nice video. Props for showing all the failed attempts too, and not just cutting it to the successful lines. Get a skid plate. You'll regret not having one the day you find yourself needing it. I put a good scrape in mine last weekend...
 

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
Joined
·
447 Posts
Crazyy video! nice job insane were you bring your car like everyone it was painfull to see but all the best for you and your fozy to take it off pavement like that ;)


But yes get a skid plate please please!
 

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
Joined
·
106 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but in the tough stuff, did you have it in 1st or D? Takes some balls (or lots of money) to do that to a car. Pretty impressive. I would have had tears running down my face after doing that to my front bumber. I guess I have smaller balls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
did you air down at all? It mayhave helped with the tires to grab some of the irregular surfaces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to get a skid plate before any more serious off-roading. :N_poke:
I've taken rocky trails before, but not that big of rocks. Good show!
 

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
Joined
·
741 Posts
Yeah, I'll pass on the rocky stuff with my XT!

You don't need at skid plate. Sure. But what do you need to do when you have a gaping hole in your oil pan and or you spin a bearing?
 

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
Joined
·
486 Posts
Blue Fox (Josh, right?), you need to come out to CO and wheel with us. Could be fun (and I might even be able to talk Smash into bringing his Fozzy) :cool:
 

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
Joined
·
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was too painful to watch :N_poke: I did like the steep climb at the end, that looked nice :rock:

I'll have to agree with Frogstar, it's just a matter of time :icon_rolleyes: 98% of the times I do not need the skids either, even on the rocky trails. But they sure make me feel more comfortable the other 2% when I loose focus and hear that unexpected rock crunching sound :cool:
The main problem I have with the aluminum skid plates out there is the fact that they're main purpose is to protect the oil pan, yes? Yet the weakest part of the skid plate (which is right in the middle) is coincidentally right where the oil pan is. So the weakest part of the skid plate is what is protecting the main reason why I'm installing it. Doesn't make sense to me. If the momentum of my 3000+lb vehicle smacks into an immobile rock right in the middle where my oil pan is, that aluminum won't do squat in the way of protection. It'll just smash the skid plate right up into my oil pan and would end up with two things to replace.

This is probably a dumb question, but in the tough stuff, did you have it in 1st or D? Takes some balls (or lots of money) to do that to a car. Pretty impressive. I would have had tears running down my face after doing that to my front bumber. I guess I have smaller balls.
I have yet to replace anything on my car due to my off-roading (other than getting punctures patched). Everything on my car is stock, even the suspension at 100,000 miles. My bumpers have every minor scrapes on them (mainly along the bottom edge), but you would be hard pressed to notice. (not to mention, they're covered in a thick bed-liner spray, so they don't scuff easy)

And I stayed in 1st most of the time. I was in Drive only when the trail was dirt and we were doing over 15 mph.

did you air down at all? It mayhave helped with the tires to grab some of the irregular surfaces.
Yep, went down to 25 psi. It doesn't look like it in the video though.

You don't need at skid plate. Sure. But what do you need to do when you have a gaping hole in your oil pan and or you spin a bearing?
See my response above to the whole skid plate thing.

Blue Fox (Josh, right?), you need to come out to CO and wheel with us. Could be fun (and I might even be able to talk Smash into bringing his Fozzy) :cool:
Yes, I NEED to get up to Colorado for some wheeling. I'm miserable down here in NM.....and not just off-roading wise, but personally. I hate New Mexico. The grass really is greener on the other side (other side being CO).....because we don't have grass......we have dirt...and some weeds. :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
Great video! Well done.


Please though. Skidplate. I've come down HARD on my 3/16s Primitive plate right in the middle. Never even bent the thing. I think we are all begging here for you to get a skidplate. Please listen?
 

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
Joined
·
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ Maybe. We'll see. Ever since owning the Foz, I have yet to even put a mark on the oil pan. (honestly, it looks brand new) And I still think the 1st line of defense is good driving and careful wheel placement. Though, I know accidents do happen. But like I said, we'll see. I have some ideas in the works.

</get a skid plate discussion> :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
See I think the first line of defense is correct and careful preparation. This includes vehicle maintenance, vehicle modification, a good recovery kit, proper food/clothing/shelter for the environment. An accident can happen to anyone, no matter how good your wheel placement.
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top