Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More off-road fun. I had a couple of cameras with me, and was out on a very rutted utility access road way out in the middle of the desert, paralleling some power lines. The video is primarily of me trying to get across one of the big ruts. Thought I would post it up for at least wheel placement purposes....

And yes, I know the light bar isn't installed. It was damaged from my last video, but I fixed it, and it'll be installed within the next couple of days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJE4Mv5E3E0

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
Very nice videography. Good work!

What gear are you in whilst attempting the ruts? Also, can models with VDC prevent that infamous diagonal spin?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't see a skid plate. Thought you might have one for those roads. Also, do you drive with a co-pilot? They can be useful for picking hte right line and taking video. Just ask my wife. :)

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Yep, very good example of how especially with AWD wheel placement is EVERYTHING!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Great video, well done! Shows the workings of the AWD system very nicely too.

Get a skidplate, or you're going to hurt something at some point...

·
Registered
2002 Forester XS
57 Posts
Thanks for the sharing.

Although the Subaru AWD systems can apportion torque fore and aft pretty well, this shows up how it would be helpful to have a good LSD or similar in the front and/or rear differentials as well so as to prevent the 'diagonal wheelspin' in these situations. (My car supposedly has a viscous rear LSD, but behaves just as shown in the video in similar situations - the rear VLSD is very weak.)

The traction control component of the VDC fitted to some Subarus can help here, but it seems to take a couple of seconds to react and brake the correct wheel(s). See around 0:51 and 1:26 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFRI9juwV4.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
474 Posts
That sucks that the stupid wheels spin even if there don't have any traction, but the ones with traction don't do anything.

Almost like those americal rwd cars that only have one wheel spinning at one time.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't see a skid plate. Thought you might have one for those roads. Also, do you drive with a co-pilot? They can be useful for picking hte right line and taking video. Just ask my wife. :)
Nope, no skid plate. Haven't had the need for one yet. When I rebuilt my engine, I re-sprayed my transmission and oil pan, and neither of them have a scratch yet. Doesn't mean that I won't eventually get one.....currently weighing my options with fabricating one myself.

Very nice videography. Good work!

What gear are you in whilst attempting the ruts? Also, can models with VDC prevent that infamous diagonal spin?
Most of the time, you can power through the diagonal spin, but you can see me hesitate on my first attempt, which killed my momentum and got me into the diagonal spin to begin with. So for power, I usually use 1st gear. To be honest, in all my off-roading, I'm usually in first. I only start off in 2nd if I'm in deep sand. And yes, VDC will stop the spinning wheels during the diagonal spin to allow power to be transferred to the two that do have traction, and pull you out. The video below shows this happening perfectly.....(around 1:18)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rojWxOGZtkI

That sucks that the stupid wheels spin even if there don't have any traction, but the ones with traction don't do anything.
Yep, it sucks, but that's the way diffs work. Power tries to escape through the easiest route, and when two wheels are off the ground in diagonal to each other, that'll happen. But it's not just AWD, the majority of 4 wheel drive vehicles out there do the exact same thing. (even Jeep's and Toyota's) That's why locking diffs and electronic systems like Subaru's VDC were invented, to aid in preventing it from happening.

Now, if I were in a Forester with VDC, the wheels would have spun for a second before the system catches it, uses the brakes to slow those tires and pull me out without having to re-setup my approach and wheel placement. But to be honest, I love the challenge of getting through something as smoothly as possible, which is why I went through 3 times until I got it right. Gives you a sense of accomplishment, respect for the Foz's off-road capabilities, and experience when you need to pass an obstacle like that again in the future.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
nice video, you should invest in a skid plate and some over sized general grabbers :rock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts