Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01 Forester. When declutching from rest, there is strong vibration from time to time. Strong enough to be frankly annoying. When switching from 1st to 2nd it also happens but with less amplitude

It only happens when it's hot outside. When cold, it doesn't seem to happen or it's less noticeable.

I also pulled a P0440 code but I think I found the problem (rotting tank neck). I somwhoe don't think that both issues are related.

Is this a recurrent problem on the Forester?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Sounds like clutch judder (or clutch shudder), though usually it is worse when cold, not warm, as it was with my '01.

From WikiAnswers (WikiAnswers - What makes a clutch judder):

Clutch Judder is caused by the clutch components and flywheel not meeting concentrically. The friction surfaces rub concentrically causing a low frequency vibration that is transmitted to the car via the engine/gearbox mountings and drive shafts. Causes can be
1) Mis-aligned clutch
2) Clutch wear/broken 'finger' springs
3) Condensation on the flywheel (usually happens on colder nights in which case judder should only last until the condensation has evaporated)
4) Contamination on the clutch such as oil from a leaking gland.

Case 1 will require the clutch to be re-aligned
Case 2 will require a new clutch
Case 3 may happen frequently on colder mornings, but judder will disappear 5 mins into driving.
Case 4 Replacement of the clutch plates

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

The clucth and the flywheel has been replaced two weeks ago with refurbished ones.

It could be a bad misalignment but in my mind it's usualy almost impossible to improperly install them, no? Is there something specific to know with the Subaru?

Anyone, I'll go back to the garage who replaced it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update!

I got my mechanic have a look at the transmission. He pulled out the starter and noticed a lot of dust on the flywheel altough it has been cleaned 3 weeks ago when he replaced the pressure plate and the clutch.

Could it be a sign of something more complicated than just a bad clutch? I'll have him remove the transmission this week for a complete check-up.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Bad alignment or possibly bad throwout bearing or pilot bearing?

Do Subies have a pilot bearing like the T5 on my old Camaro?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remachined flywheel, new pilot bearing and replaced clutch disc and it now works like new. I think that the rebuilt clutch disc was faulty here..but hey, it's works now so I don't care anymoreQ

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a month now and althouhg it's much more better, the same problem appear but with less intensity.

Looks like the clutch doesn't slip at all and that it engaged on/off with no progrssion. The clucth pedal is also really high.

I don't really want to throw in a third clutch so what thing should I look now?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts