Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, replaced the driver's side front driveshaft a couple of months ago to rectify a clonking an clicking when turning right and a slight vibration too.

Recently the vibration has reappeared, is it likely that the second hand shaft was also bad?

It appears to come in when the engine's doing about 2500rpm but it's frequency appears to be related to car speed rather than engine speed. Could it be that the torque converter is on it's way out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
428 Posts
Hi all, replaced the driver's side front driveshaft a couple of months ago to rectify a clonking an clicking when turning right and a slight vibration too.

Recently the vibration has reappeared, is it likely that the second hand shaft was also bad?

It appears to come in when the engine's doing about 2500rpm but it's frequency appears to be related to car speed rather than engine speed. Could it be that the torque converter is on it's way out?

Thanks
I had the same problem. I just recently replaced both my axles because my boots were going. that maybe the same with you. You can check if thats the case by jacking the car up removing the tire of whatever axle you want to check and just wiggle the axle around abit..if it moves and makes noise your boots may be going. compare it with the other side (the one you just replaced). hope this helps!

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
if you have play in the wheels when they are off the ground then i would take a look at the tie rod ends ..could well be in need of replacement ........might not be related though .....

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would loose tie rod ends give a regular vibration though? The driver's side is definately sound as I checked that when I fitted the drive shaft. I'm starting to think it's the 'new' driveshaft that's the problem, just have to save up for a new one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts