Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Vibration in the Steering wheel when I get to about 45mph. After a while the vibration subsides a little after about 15 mins of driving but it's still there.

The tires are new (less than 2,000 miles on them). And I just got it balanced as I thought that was the problem.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
320 Posts
Have you been playing in the snow? This used to happen to me on my old Outback Limited and my current Forester. If you have been doing some donuts or drifting (or anything that may make your wheels slide sideways and scoop up snow) you may have snow packed on the inside of your wheels. Scrape out the snow and go to a car wash with a nice undrebody flush. I have a feeling this will solve your problem.

:cool:

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
I had the same thing after driving off road in the mud. The mud caked and dried on the inside of the wheel where I couldn't see it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
657 Posts
What they said. Just last week I was driving home from work with my steering wheel vibrating. I had a feeling it was ice on the wheel so I stopped and checked and I was right. Just inside the wide spokes of the wheel on the inside of rim is a low spot where ice/mud/sediment can build up, and I found a some ice had formed there when the car was sitting. I took out a screwdriver and dislodged it, then went around to the other wheels and checked them too. There was no more vibration for the remainder of the drive home.

Like rsay 777, I had sediment buildup in there once and caused the same symptoms. So if this happens in the warmer months, that's likely the culprit also.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
"You've got mud in the tahrs". Like in My Cousin Vinny. ;)

Tire balance, snow/mud, bent wheel, improper lug nut tightening, out-of-round tire, bad shock/strut, worn tie rod or ball joint. Easiest thing to do is try moving the tires front to back and see if it changes. That will help narrow down where it's coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts