Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 FXT 6MT, 07 STi limited SWP
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been trying to diagnose a noise from my car for months now with no luck. It's a rattling chatter from the rear left corner of the suspension. It basically sounds like something is loose.

Notes:

1. It's most noticeable under moderate braking.

2. I have noticed it on rough roads before (not under braking)

3. I had a ton of snow in my wheel and it was making noise like a hungry child. I pulled over and dug the snow out and the noise immediately stopped.

4. I have replaced the rear struts with 07 STi (had 04 STi before), and replaced the left rear hub/knuckle/axle from an 02 wrx (used). No changes in the noise.

5. The rear rotors were turned relatively recently.

Help! It's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
was there anything you had done with the vehicle just before it started happening? i was going to mention bearings, but it looks like the issue is still there after you replaced the whole knuckle.

i can't really tell from the video.

(Sent from my LG G2 via AutoGuide App)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was there anything you had done with the vehicle just before it started happening? i was going to mention bearings, but it looks like the issue is still there after you replaced the whole knuckle.

i can't really tell from the video.

(Sent from my LG G2 via AutoGuide App)
I figured out the video is actually a much better representation of my raspy exhaust (got rid of that), not so much the vibration.

I don't really remember when it began as opposed to if it started when I worked on something.

The used bearing could be bad for all I know

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I had a Subaru performance shop check it out, and it was ultimately a loose trailing arm bolt.

After being on the receiving end of hell for not working on my car properly, the problem is "solved". I say that because I still notice a shudder, but it's not violent anymore. I'm 95% certain this is a warped rotor that needs to be turned/replaced.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update again...after replacing the rear rotors, the noise is again better and reduced.

I am left to believing it is a bushing that is toast after nearly 300k miles.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final update...when I replaced the rear hub, it came with an aftermarket bushing in it (which I didn't know). That bushing disintegrated and the bolt was left clanking around. Upgraded to Whiteline rear trailing arm bushings and never heard it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts