Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point in time, I'm kinda stuck choosing between mods I want to perform.

I'm considering doing a turbo swap.

I think i'd go with a vf39, turboxs TMIC, walbro 255lph, and STi injectors.

How much of a difference would this make over the stock td04 turbo?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,127 Posts
You don't really need to upgrade the injectors for a VF39. Also, are you keeping the exhaust stock? Going to get a protune or use the Cobb off the shelf Vf39 map?

I had the mods you listed (minus the injectors, STi TMIC instead of TurboXS) + Cobb catted turboback, TurboXS uppipe and a protune and made about 100 whp more than when stock (about 291 whp, 310 wtq).

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Read the sticky at the top of this forum called "How to go faster than and STi for cheap"

There is also a good thread going currently called something along the lines of "0-60 mph faster"

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I have a similar setup, and it is a HUGE difference. It made my car kind of scary to drive at first. I felt crazy fast and pulls like a freight train. It has been 2 years and I immensely love the setup up. I gained well over 100hp and torque.

And like others said, you already have STi injectors in your car so no need to replace them.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry that I don't have my mods listed.

Currently I have:

-TurboXS Turboback
-Cobb AP Stage 2 OTS Map
-Cobb SF Short Ram Intake

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
At this point in time, I'm kinda stuck choosing between mods I want to perform.

I'm considering doing a turbo swap.

I think i'd go with a vf39, turboxs TMIC, walbro 255lph, and STi injectors.

How much of a difference would this make over the stock td04 turbo?
The difference is HUGE. I pull hard on my 2006 M3 at any speed up to the Forester 135MPH speed limiter. Seriously. And I keep a lawnmower in the back doing it.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it more high end power that I would gain? It seems to me that the stock td04 spools up just as fast if not a little faster, but im assuming that after that point the vf39 puts it to shame?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ ding ding ding. Yes, the TD04 feels like a slug above 4K in my opinion. The VF39 makes you wonder why the TD04 was even put on the vehicle from the factory, and bigger than that make people like me happy.

·
Registered
2008 2005 XTi 6speed!!
142 Posts
the only thing wrong with droppen a vf39 in your forester is that it will just make you want more and more power... i jave had a vf39 in my foz for 4000 miles and already have something bigger waiting to go in...:biggrin: do it

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the only thing wrong with droppen a vf39 in your forester is that it will just make you want more and more power... i jave had a vf39 in my foz for 4000 miles and already have something bigger waiting to go in...:biggrin: do it
haha I can definately see your point! :lol:

what are you putting in?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I've had a VF39 for nearly 2 years and I am still very happy. I run a 17psi map for daily driving, but I can load a 19psi or even an insane 21psi race map if I feel I need more umph. Driving my wife's X often also helps keep the XT feeling crazy fast!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I Completely agree with that. How would a vf39 compare to a Big 16g or an 18g?
I don't have personal experience running either. Wrathchild (previously integrity performance) did a few posts regarding the differences as he has had each on his Foz at some point.

The general jist I have gotten from him and others though...

16g will give a hair more top end than a vf39, but not significant. Hence why you see few STi's ever put a 16g on.

18g is an alright improvement and is a good turbo for the vehicle.

"Problem" with going to an 18g is you get into the land of needing further supporting mod's. It's no longer slapping stock parts on from an STi. At 18g terroritory you'll want to do injectors, and you'll need a custom tune.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, I'd get a protune for sure.

For the amount of extra money i'd have to pay, is it worth it to get an 18g? or would it not make enough of a difference vs. a vf39

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
yeah, I'd get a protune for sure.

For the amount of extra money i'd have to pay, is it worth it to get an 18g? or would it not make enough of a difference vs. a vf39
Depends on who you ask. I was in the shop when my tuner told a customer to get a vf48 over and 18g since they will perform nearly the same under 20psi while costing less money.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts