Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you spin the VF22 wheels, are they supposed to keep spinning after you give it a push?

My VF23 keeps spinning but the VF22 does not, it just stops. Comparatively more resistance than the VF23.

Is it because one is ball bearing and one is roller bearing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Forester SG9 2.5XT
130 Posts
Hi,

Hope this info will answer part of your qtn though.

The VF series (VF22, VF23, VF24, VF29, VF30, VF34, VF39) are the most common direct replacement turbos. All VF-series turbochargers use the same roller bearing, water-cooled core assembly. The differences are in their wheels and housings to achieve different flows.

The VF22 has the largest potential for peak horsepower. In other words, in the IHI model range, the VF 22 supports the highest boost levels. It is capable of running up to 25 psi. Because it is a roller bearing turbo, turbo lag is minimal...the boost comes on around 3300 rpm. Expect to max out the VF22 somewhere in the 400-450 hp range.

The VF23 starts the middle ground. It comes on boost around 3100 rpm and is capable of running 20 psi of boost. Expect to max out the VF23 somewhere in the 300-350 hp range.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I've read that many times. But I need to know why one spins freely and the other one does not.

·
Registered
2008 Forester SG9 2.5XT
130 Posts
Both using roller bearing and their compressor wheel blades is 5 & 6 repsectively but as to why one spin and one stops, i have no idea for that.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It did say the VF22 uses an older design.

Still need help with this.

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Bearing issue with VF22 :(

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Thanks. It did say the VF22 uses an older design.

Still need help with this.
Any turbo, whether ball bearing or journal bearing, doesn't spin freely, bearings are shot.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's not good... So it's no good for sure then?

Can you use the turbo for anything else?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't the centre housing be replaced?

Could this be caused by dirty oil or something? The wheel has no shaft play at all.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
How long have the turbos been sitting? One longer than the other? I don't think any of my turbos have ever spun on their own for very long after I have twist the compressor wheel by hand. When you spin the VF22, does it rotate on it's own for a few revolutions?

I don't think the IHI are rebuildable; not because they can't be rebuilt, but because there is no place to source the parts.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The VF23 sat for about a year, and it spins a few revs after I flick the compressor wheel with my finger. The VF22, I'm not sure how long it's been sitting, and it stops almost immediately after I spin it with my finger.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
The VF23 sat for about a year, and it spins a few revs after I flick the compressor wheel with my finger. The VF22, I'm not sure how long it's been sitting, and it stops almost immediately after I spin it with my finger.
Hmmm... I don't see why it couldn't possibly be gunked up oil. I think it's a fairly small area where the bearings are.

However, I wouldn't even know where to begin in suggesting how to clean it out. Maybe turn it upside down and pour a little bit of fresh oil in there? It's worth a try at least. I wouldn't use any cleaning agent though. Don't want to find out if the bearings or seals react badly to that.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks toddlamp.

Looking for information on how to dissemble a VF turbo now... If anyone has a link, please post.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Can't the centre housing be replaced?

Could this be caused by dirty oil or something? The wheel has no shaft play at all.
Center housing rotating assembly can be replaced. It's not cheap, but you get to do something useful with the turbine and compressor housings.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I found from searching. But it doesn't seem that there are a lot of VF CHRAs floating around.

What VF or other turbos have interchangeable CHRAs? And how hard is it to disassemble the turbo?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
That's what I found from searching. But it doesn't seem that there are a lot of VF CHRAs floating around.

What VF or other turbos have interchangeable CHRAs? And how hard is it to disassemble the turbo?
Yeah, I was thinking about TD05s when I posted the thing about swapping the CHRA.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts