Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a VF-39. I was told over the internet that it had no crack, no shaft play, was mint. Well after driving an hour, I showed up and it did have a crack, I paid less, but it does have no shaft play.

I never realized the crack went all the way through the housing, I thought it was just a surface crack. Is this the normal crack that's not really an issue, or do I have to try and get my loot back?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Every VF39 will eventually develop the crack, and yes, in many it goes all the way through the housing. It's been pretty much the general consensus that it doesn't affect performance, though. If it doesn't have any significant shaft play, you're good to go, IMHO.

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,873 Posts
Yeah, that may or may not have more than 10k on it. But the crack is typical. It you wont notice any boost control problems with the crack. The scoring on the compressor may be normal. Ill have to check one of my vf's laying around

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
I just picked up a vf43 that had the same crack. Every credible source I read said the crack will NOT affect performance. It's still tough to look at though.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Cracking of the WG port has never concerned me. I mean seriously, what sort of mass flow rate do you think you are getting through a crack? You're moving up to 460 CFM with that VF. Perhaps you have 1 or 2 CFM being lost, if that, through that crack.

A .5% exhaust leak fails to get me excited.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I was more worried about what the crack might develop into, thanks to most of the posts, and the clarification of the internal portion, I'm no longer worried. This turbo has zero shaft play, I just couldn't figure out where those score marks around the turbine came from, unless that's how they are from factory...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I guess I was more worried about what the crack might develop into, thanks to most of the posts, and the clarification of the internal portion, I'm no longer worried. This turbo has zero shaft play, I just couldn't figure out where those score marks around the turbine came from, unless that's how they are from factory...
I would be more concerned about the scoring on the housing, and the dulling of the leading edge of the compressor wheel. The scoring tells me that the bearing are worn, and the dulling of the wheel tells me it was drawing in dirty air...

Might be perfectly fine to run, just not mint.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I would be more concerned about the scoring on the housing, and the dulling of the leading edge of the compressor wheel. The scoring tells me that the bearing are worn, and the dulling of the wheel tells me it was drawing in dirty air...

Might be perfectly fine to run, just not mint.
Agreed, the leading edge of those vanes look pretty worn. If theres no shaft play, that turbo must have ingested some sort of particulate at some point in its life.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fudge. If the bearings are worn, there would be some sort of shaft play, no? There is no shaft play at all, either in out or side to side. What do you think? Worth installing, or should i get rid of it and try to find another?

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,873 Posts
As someone mentioned, its possible that there was debris stuck between the propeller and the housing for a short time. It may not be an issue. You can definitely contact the seller and state your findings and concerns.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^Eh, no sense in me getting OCD over a $300 turbo, without shaft play I can't imagine anything not working properly. I wouldn't expect the slight imperfections on the blade to really affect anything, plus I don't expect to get any straight answers from the guy I bought it from anyway, he "didn't know" there was a crack.

I'll wait until you can take a look at it in person before I worry anymore. Thanks for the input all!

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey all, thought I was good with this, but I got some free time today.

I just didn’t trust this guy that much and went and poured some oil in the oil return line and let it sit a little, spun the blades a few times and oil is coming out both sides of the turbo. That mean a blown seals doesn’t it? Or is it different under pressure?

Something tells me I'm gonna feel like a real Noob when this gets answered...

Am I right that the seals are labryinth seals and only actually seal when the turbo is spinning and under pressure?:icon_redface:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts