Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
943 Posts
not a vet/ or served for that matter, but i heard/saw something for the first time that gave me goose bumps yesterday! a buddy and i were eating at Spicy Pickle for lunch and some random ladies came over to a group of service men and women and randomly thanked them for there service! thought that was pretty cool!! any who just wanted to share that.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a vet/ or served for that matter, but i heard/saw something for the first time that gave me goose bumps yesterday! a buddy and i were eating at Spicy Pickle for lunch and some random ladies came over to a group of service men and women and randomly thanked them for there service! thought that was pretty cool!! any who just wanted to share that.
First off, mmmmmmmmmmmm spicey pickle.

Second, try to get into the habit of doing that. It takes some balls the first few times cause you feel kinda silly. I started doing it cause my mom does it.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
I do a thumbs up and a thank you in airports. Much different than the Viet Nam days when I was embarrassed to wear my uniform when I would come home on leave.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Saw a bumper sticker with what I thought was an appropriate comment...
"You Don't Have To Support The War, To Support Our Troops". A number of highways in Canada where our fallen soldiers are returned home share the name... Highway of Heroes, appropriate for the living as well.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
I wish Australia was as outgoing with their thanks for your service as you guys are with your troops.
Your troops must feel so good inside when somebody walks up and says thanks for your service.

It wasn't until 04/25/2009 (Anzac Day) that somebody made me feel proud for the very first time to be a Veteran, and it happened to be from a trucker passing through my old hometown, he saw me walking down the sidewalk with my medals on and gave me a big loud honk with his airhorn and a thumbs up ......... it brought tears to my eyes and made my body tingle all over because that is the most anybody has said to me as far as a Thankyou goes and meant it.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,814 Posts

I often do that at airports when I come across somebody in uniform. Somebody even thanked me the other day when I got my discount at Home Depot, and I don't think I could even fit in my uniform any more!

Expect publicly announced discounts at Lowes and Home Depot on Veterans Day (and Memorial Day), and don't be surprised if your local Home Depot actually offers it year-round but doesn't publicize it. They do in New Hampshire.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Walking out of security at the airport or getting on a plane here, groups of troops get cheered. People tell them all the time here thank you, pick up tabs, buy drinks everything. Back in Virginia, that never happened.

I know it always thrilled my husband when people thanked him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts