1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT LUN
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have problem with very strange sound from engine or exhaust
after start engine and increase rpm to about 1700 i hear this sound, when rpm up over 2k rpm this sound gone forever, when i back again to 1700 rpm still sound is ok, zero problems.

after turn off engine and restart in 50% times problem back, in 1700 rpm, then up to 2k and gone forever on this session

this sound dont exist in every start engine, maybe in 50%

very often when engine i cold.

Polish ASO can't fix this, he say its probably problem with secondary pump and and emission control, because after 4-5 starts and stops engine, strange sound don't exist any more to probably cold.

i order new PCV valve, i don't have guarantee to solve my problem

client: forester my06 2.5 XT turbo 230HP (eu version euro IV)
sound - www[dot]youtube.com/watch?v=L7yv0zCyO68

Some one can help me?

cheers

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
not sure on yours but a noise that occurs in these Subarus that is RPM related is the exhaust shield underneath the car.

Try a search "exhaust shield rattle"

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I honestly don't have any idea what it could be but to me, it sounds like the noise could be coming from something that is loose or possibly due to vibrations at a particular RPM, is the engine any rougher at that particular RPM than others?

If it were me, I would get it on a rack and have someone with a stethoscope locate that noise, good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT LUN
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello again

its third cata near second lamda

engine is in good condition

no pistons slap, no rod knock, pistons is too ok

compression ratio over 9+ after 3 revs

engine have 113000 km

oil motul eco-nergy 5w30

cheers

·
Registered
15 FORESTER CVT
314 Posts
Is it a vibration/rattling noise? I've had heat shield brackets on other cars (not Subaru) break when fairly new and tracked it down to that.

BTW I simply had the brackets re-welded after removing the shields vs purchasing new ones.

PS It's kinda ironic you ask this because I was at my local dealers yesterday and there was a new one on the parts counter that someone had ordered.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... forester my06 2.5 XT... very strange sound from engine or exhaust... after start engine and increase rpm to about 1700... over 2k rpm this sound gone forever... Polish ASO can't fix this, he say its probably problem with secondary pump and and emission control, because after 4-5 starts and stops engine, strange sound don't exist any more... i order new PCV valve, i don't have guarantee to solve my problem...
sound (clip) - YouTube - 00099.wmv
This is recorded under the car below the front seat.

I can hear the engine rpm rising and falling, with a knocking sound that does not appear to change much with the rpm. Or maybe that is because the knocking only occurs in a 300 rpm band, from 1700 to 2000 rpm.

Maybe it is the emissions air pump, but it does not seem a normal operating sound for an air pump because they should not knock, being rotary not reciprocating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts