Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies, but I know fairly little about troubleshooting cars, so please bear with me. This situation is making me want to learn how my car works, so hopefully this is the start of a wonderful experience with this community :)

BUT! First thing's first--my Forester isn't working right! I need help!

As the title says, it's lurching in low speeds. After it hits 30, it's relatively smooth. I took it to a shop on Saturday, and they're still trying to figure out the problem.

This is what the shop has said so far:
-CEL is saying an O2 sensor is at fault, but they've tested the sensors and they're working fine.
-Something about 2 of the cylinders misfiring
-It's intermittent--sometimes it'll barely idle, other times it's fine
-They've tested the spark plug wires, and those are OK. As for the plugs themselves, they look OK, but haven't been tested
-Right now they're testing the fuel pressure, but the car is running fine right now, so the test isn't showing anything

The car: 2001 Forester L, 54,000 miles

I've asked some friends and they suggested it could be the MAP, coil packs, cat converter...but I think that you guys would be a bit more help.

So now I'm at home, waiting to hear from the shop until they pinpoint the problem.

Your thoughts? What should I do from here?

Thanks MUCHLY in advance

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And shop just got back to me! They said it loses about 10 lbs of pressure when it starts doing its craziness.

So they want to replace:
Fuel filter (~$40)
Strainer (~$40)
Pump (~$300)
+$90 labor

$508.89

Does this sound accurate and reasonable?

Quite a bit of money, but it is a significant problem.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You can get a walbro fuel pump for around $70-90 and is generally a direct drop in replacement. I put one in when my oem pump died at around 80,000 miles and its been perfect since (however the walbro is a bit louder).

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a walbro fuel pump for around $70-90 and is generally a direct drop in replacement. I put one in when my oem pump died at around 80,000 miles and its been perfect since (however the walbro is a bit louder).
Sweet! So would you recommend that I get and install the fuel pump myself and leave the rest to the shop?

And where's a good place to get the right pump :O

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having trouble finding this Walbro pump you mentioned. Where should I be looking?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'm not sure exactly for your specific application. I got mine for my 04XT from a local tuning shop.

Hopefully someone else with experience will chime in on info for the 98-02 models.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
I'm an old guy with a 2000 Subie which has an external fuel filter under the hood. If your 2001 has such a fuel filter, I would try replacing it and see if it cures your problem. If it's one of the new fuel filters inside the gas tank, and you don't have mechanical abilities, you're at their mercy and they would probably want to replace "everything" to assure they a) make money and b) get everything fixed that could possibly be blocking your fuel. If you have a 2001 with only 54,000 miles then it would surprise me if there is some gunk in the fuel system that is causing your problems. Just a guess. John N.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
They moved to the intank filter in 05.

Has the car even been run dry of fuel?

When was the fuel filter last replaced? I'd replace that first (its very easy).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts