Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, quick question:

Has anyone else found it very easy to smoke the clutch in reverse? I think I've done it like... three times in the past month. :icon_redface:

I'm sure it's mostly myself being bad at manuals, but I thought I'd see if anyone else was having the same issue.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
Once you get it rolling, get your foot off the clutch. It's actually geared lower in reverse than it is in 1st. If you need small increments/very slow, do little dabs of clutch engagement rather than keeping it in constant slippage.

One caution, make sure your defroster/AC is off, you don't need the fast idle kicking on suddenly and without warning.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I find it super easy to smoke the clutch in my 05 XT, lol. Happens quite often, haha!

·
Registered
2015 WRX Base 6MT
90 Posts
No issues here, but I use the dab of clutch here and there method. Also, I don't reverse much. Stop and go traffic in Houston was enought to generate a little stink when it was new, but with almost 5000 miles on it, it's ceased doing that. No visible smoke, but I was rather sure it was toasty. Keep the mileage in mind, and make sure it's broken in before you pass judgement.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,702 Posts
Nothing like the smell of burnt clutch in the morning

1 - 5 of 5 Posts