Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 S Turbo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2001 S Turbo 2nd hand, had it inspected etc. Drove it 49 miles and then....... really bad clattering from the engine. I am fairly sure this is pretty terminal!
When the AA guy turned up he asked if it would drive on to his ramp, as soon as I tried to start it he winced and gave me the 'cut it off' sign.

My question is, can anybody tell me of a good place to get this sorted?
The first plan I have worked out is fitting a low milage 2nd hand engine complete with turbo etc. sourced from Japan. I have been quoted 1450gbp for this with a 3 month warranty.

Any other ideas? Anyone else had an engine go like this?

Many thanks,
Stinky.

·
Registered
1998 S
22 Posts
if by clattering you mean a really loud knocking sound that is frequent with engine rpm then yess, terminal is the correct word, possibly your oil pump stopped working, or if the engine over-heating is cause then possibly a failing waterpump is the reason

it sounds to me like you threw a rod\spun a bearing and those parts will need to be extracted and the parts replaced if you aim to use the engine again

my advice is listen to the AA dude and do not turn the engine over anymore
in any case you are on the right track by swapping out the powerplant because after spinning a bearing it may damage the crank and if the rod is far enoughout of shape , it is also possible to damage the valves

Mich

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
A Japanese engine is a bad idea as its not compatable with UK wiring or ECU, you ideally want either a UK s-turbo engine or a UK Impreza turbo engine and ECU from the same MY car.

Usual Subaru breakers are Foresters or gradea.

Simon

·
Registered
01 S Turbo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, and yes my engine does sound like the one on the video.

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
If you are willing to do a bit of work a Japanese motor can be fitted but you have to decide if it’s worth the hassle.
You have to change the heads so that you can use the stock manifold and electronics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts