Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard a large thump on the driverside under the engine, my exhaust is rusting, I made it home, but only drove at half-speed. Could this have been the timing belt ( 150,000 mi.) or part of the exaust breaking off, It was really loud. I would like to hear from someone who might have lost a timing belt before or knows anything about the exaust of a 2001. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Was is a big chunk of snow/ice?
If the timing belt broke, I doubt you would've gone very far before hearing a lot of bad engine sounds...
If your timing belt was changed at 100k miles like it should have been, I highly doubt it was that. If the car sounded really loud after the thump it could have been the exhaust, but nothing under the drivers side should have fallen off.

Did your plastic under-tray bite the dust? I don't know what those were like on the '01s

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,007 Posts
Since the engine didn't stop, the timing belt is OK. If the engine doesn't sound any different, the exhaust system is OK.
Did you drive over something in the snow?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
If the timing belt breaks, your car likely would quit because of valve damage. Just some advice if the timing belt has not been changed do it soon by someplace that knows Subaru's, that shouldn't be hard in Vermont.

Is it possible that you may have snagged the exhaust on something pulling it apart. If you don't have a garage and want to inspect it, spend a couple of bucks and go into some indoor/underground parking and have a look at it. Another option is to take it into one of those muffler shops that does free inspections. There is some movement between the pipes and are fitted with gaskets, lets hope that is all it is.

On my old 99 the exhaust pipe hangs a little low and once while going through some deep snow I also thought I broke a pipe, all it was was a dislodged gasket between the cat and muffler but the car was louder. That was an easy fix.

Edit some of your info and put a location in Vermont and maybe some of the members can make some recommendations on who could check it out.

And let us know if you got it fixed and what the problem was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts