Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my new 2010 Forester this morning the outside temperature was 52°F. I didn't have my fishing thermometer with me, however, I'm reasonably sure the temperature at the vents was at least in the mid 60s, if not warmer. I'm suspecting some air is passing through the heater core and this needs a cable adjustment or something. Have any of you noticed this on your Foresters? This is going to greatly impact the efficiency of the AC this summer. Thank You!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
What trim level of Forester do you have? Does it have the auto climate control? How did you have the controls set for fan, mode, and temperature?

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
I've found that if I'm traveling down the highway with the vents off, I will feel air being pushed through the vents at whatever the temperature is set at. I think this is just a factor of the intake vents being located near the windshield wipers and receiving a large volume of air while at speed.

Turning the fan on and selecting a mode and temperature pretty much negates that issue. Try turning the recirculation on. That may shut the intake from the exterior vents and prevent this from happening. I'm not sure if pressing the recirc button will turn the rest of the system on or not.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What trim level of Forester do you have? Does it have the auto climate control? How did you have the controls set for fan, mode, and temperature?
Just the base model, no climate control. Had the temperature control turned all the way down and all of the air coming through the upper vents. Traveling at fifty MPH or stopped, the air at the outlets seemed about the same temperature (not in the fifties!)

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
5 Posts
I've got a 2010 Forester as well & I realised this when I was driving yesterday. Even with the fan off there's a tiny bit of a warm air coming through the vents...and it's definitely warmer than the outside temperature. Fiddled around with the recirculation etc & it's pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
On my drive home yesterday, I pushed the recirculation button without pressing any other buttons in regards to the fans or AC. The air that was coming in through the vents due to traveling 65MPH down the highway stopped.

And this morning on my way to work, I had to turn the dial from full cold to full hot as it was 38F and I definitely felt it coming through the vents. Turning the temperature dial to full hot pushed warmer air in to the vehicle just from traveling down the road.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
I've noticed this as well, and have come up with a bit of a workaround. The dash being dark really really soaks up the heat coming through the windshield...and I think this is where the vents are picking up the heat.

I'll run the vents at speed 4 for up to five minutes, which cools them closer to the outside temp. Bring the speed back down to a comfortable level, and things should be good.

I'm going to try and find some kind of dash cover that will reflect some of that heat without blinding me while I'm driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts