Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium 5MT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I can't find a definitive answer so I wanted to start a new thread.

I just threw a P0502 code, from what I can tell it is a Speed Sensor low output code. I took the sensor out and checked all the connections, everything looks OK. I have a new one on order and will be in tomorrow, but once I install it, it's mine.

My main question is about the physical set up of the sensor. When I took mine out the metal spade shaft was separate from the plastic housing. It actually stayed in the transmission when I removed it. Should it all be one piece? When I put it back into the sensor is seems to move freely and I can't tell if it's moving anything inside the sensor. The plastic gear inside seems to be solid, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm going to compare the two when I pick the new one up, but I figured you guys might be able to share some insight.

Also, any other things I should check first before shelling out for a new sensor?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in case someone comes along this thread and is looking for info, I bought a new sensor and it comes with a new shaft, which is detachable. Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

Ultimately, I took it to the dealer and the drive gear in the transmission that turns the sensor is stripped. This is probably why I was getting an low input (P0502) and not a dead sensor (P0500). It's in the shop now, I'm getting a new clutch while it's in there, since they have to drop the transmission anyway, it has 80k on the odo.

Total bill for the gear only was $850, $1300 for clutch included.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Manual 5-speed
1 Posts
Thanks for coming back with that info and for the diagnosis my 05 X 5speed just replicated this issue. On top of needing head job, water pump, control arms and a/c compressor. Just all kinda snuck up on our busy family. Engine comes out soon. Again thanks, cleared a lot up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem. Glad it could help someone. I'd suggest considering a new clutch while the transmission is out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts