Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Forester XT with around 130k on it. Recently I installed 2004 sti strut assemblies and that is when I noticed the problem. Before the work was done my car cruises pretty smooth with no vibration or issue. After I got the new strut assemblies on the issue I’m about to describe what noticeable immediately upon the first drive.

The way I would describe this issue is it feels like something is binding or causing drag. When I accelerate it feels like the car is sluggish and doesn’t want to go. Before I was only on the Stage 1 Cobb OTS tune and now I am on the Stage 2 Cobb OTS time and it felt faster before.

At first I thought it was just simply due to the fact the the alignment was way out of sorts since I installed the struts. But I just had the alignment completed and it is better but it still has the feeling of drag. So now I’m thinking maybe it is something to do with the axles, maybe there was an issue before that is made more noticeable due to the repositioning of driveline components. When the car is in neutral or park it idles smoother too.

I honestly done even know where to start and I know that probably isn’t a great description but it’s all I have. Hopefully someone on heat has experienced something similar or can point me in the right direction. If you have further questions that will assist you in diagnosing please ask!

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump! Really need help with this issue, I hate how sluggish the foz feels especially with the stage 2 tune :(

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you gone underneath to look for signs of rubbing? Tire pressures are ok?
Yes I check to make sure no running from tires on any components and tire pressure is accurate. I just got the alignment done on Monday and the tires rotated and balanced the same day.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
A SCANGAUGE can measure acceleration.With all that tuning you would be able to measure any discrepancies before and after tuning. Or strut change... Got a pic of it lowered?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
365 Posts
DadFozz,
How much did the sTI suspension lower the car? If it was 3" or less I have no idea, but if it was dramatic maybe the driveshaft angles are extreme and the cvjoints are binding? I'm just guessing, like everyone else. Any pics?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sti struts lower it approximately 2”. Here are some pics! I love the way it looks now.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A SCANGAUGE can measure acceleration.With all that tuning you would be able to measure any discrepancies before and after tuning. Or strut change... Got a pic of it lowered?
Posted pics!
Wish I would have had that before hand but I can promise it’s not driving like it was before I lowered it. Feels slower now than it did before by far. Especially the smoothness if acceleration.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DadFozz,
How much did the sTI suspension lower the car? If it was 3" or less I have no idea, but if it was dramatic maybe the driveshaft angles are extreme and the cvjoints are binding? I'm just guessing, like everyone else. Any pics?
It was only about 2”, somewhere around there I can’t remember the exact number.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I have an update and hopefully this may help figure out the issue...

Before the install of the new struts the car ran very smooth, shifts were smooth, if I let off the gas and then hit it again it did not lag or have issues shifting in to the correct gear, it would just go with no drag. Now if I let off and hit it again it kind of clunks and acts like it was not in the correct gear. It also makes some noise when backing up and turning the wheel left, like something is binding. When sitting still at an idle you can kind of feel a small vibration like something is out of sorts, but if you shift it in to neutral it idles out really smooth and the vibes go away.

When I was installing the struts the only "mishap" I had was the driver front axle slipped out of the transmission because I let the hub drop too low...all I did was rotate the hub while lifting until it slipped back in to place and lined back up with the strut assembly....is there a chance that the axle slipping out and me putting it back in could have caused this issue?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Maybe you sdcc should go back to stock then
Okay so I have an update ...is there a chance that the axle slipping out and me putting it back in could have caused this issue?
I think you nailed it. I have only done cc's once,,,on another car,,, and I had clunking etc until I checked my work and found that one side wasn't locked in.

Do over!

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe you sdcc should go back to stock then

I think you nailed it. I have only done cc's once,,,on another car,,, and I had clunking etc until I checked my work and found that one side wasn't locked in.

Do over!
Okay so it sounds like i will be lifting the car up...pulling the driver front CV and reinstalling to see if that fixes it. What are the odds that it is messed up and needs replacing now??

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Hard to say without knowing how long they last or how many miles yours has on it. You did not do it any favors. I would have a new one ready to go in should you find the existing one damaged.

Didn't fluid leak out? Should it be drained prior to doing this?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to say without knowing how long they last or how many miles yours has on it. You did not do it any favors. I would have a new one ready to go in should you find the existing one damaged.

Didn't fluid leak out? Should it be drained prior to doing this?
It has 130k on it but no idea how many miles the CVs have on them. I dont know if they have been replaced.

No fluid leaked at all. From what I have read it does not need to be drained or anything. Do you know if there is a way to tell exactly how it is supposed to line up?? It slide back in like it was in correct but according to what you said there should be some sort of specific positioning for it to be correct aka "locked in".

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Should feel a detent where it will then resist pulling out,,that is generic CV install advice NOT SPECIFIC TO SUBY
Consult a manual.or wait for more competent advice and thorough instruction .

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: lifted the car up and got underneath it to check out the cv axles. To the eye everything is where it should be. Something is still for sure wrong. Had a buddy of mine drive it and his car is a stage 1+ type tune and is wayyyy faster and more smooth than mine at a stage 2 tune. The tune is just for reference. It was still having the same issue on the Stage 1 tune right after I lowered it.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Update: lifted the car up and got underneath it to check out the cv axles. To the eye everything is where it should be
I gather you did not pull on it or check a service manual... looks can be deceiving.
I think it is too coincidental that you did not mention the axle coming out and the problem you are having.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I gather you did not pull on it or check a service manual... looks can be deceiving.
I think it is too coincidental that you did not mention the axle coming out and the problem you are having.
I pulled in it back and forth, twisted it left to right and nothing was out of the ordinary. Also after further research the cv axle is pinned to the axle stub that comes out fo the transmission so when I had the mishap of the axle popping out it was actually the axle stub. A lot of people say that happens on accident and you just have to ensure that it is popped back in all the way. If it isn’t you would see shiny metal protruding from the transmission which I do not have so my assumption is that it is all the way back in.
However, I am thinking I’m just going to go ahead and pick up a new cv axle and will pull out the current one to see what’s going on.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I pulled in it back and forth, twisted it left to right and nothing was out of the ordinary. Also after further research the cv axle is pinned to the axle stub that comes out fo the transmission so when I had the mishap of the axle popping out it was actually the axle stub. A lot of people say that happens on accident and you just have to ensure that it is popped back in all the way. If it isn’t you would see shiny metal protruding from the transmission which I do not have so my assumption is that it is all the way back in.
However, I am thinking I’m just going to go ahead and pick up a new cv axle and will pull out the current one to see what’s going on.
I watched Mr Subaru 1387 on YouTube replace a cv axle showing that a roll pin holds it in place . How yours " popped out" tells me something is very wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts