Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo, My mom is looking at getting rid of her Tribeca, because of the poor visibility out the rear window. (This has to do with an incident involving one of those yellow concrete posts they put around things to protect them:spinnasmiley)

One major thing to her is the VDC. Besides the Outback 3.0R VDC Limited, does anyone know if any of the other wagons will be coming with VDC as an option in MY07? She would rather not loose that much money by going to a more expensive car (i.e. the Outback 3.0R VDC Limited).

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Even wagons will have certain visibility problems out the back...

you can solve this problem for under $100... buy one of those backup sensors...

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's fine in the wagons (outback or Forester). I've driven in the B9, and can agree that you can't see squat out the back. She's not really interested in a sensor, I've already told her about them. She wants to be able to see it, and I haven't been able to run accross an interface for the OEM screen for a reverse camera.

·
Registered
79 Posts
the 2007 Tribeca will have a factory option rear view camera. the camera mounts next to the license plate, and the image appears on the screen in the center console.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also told her about that, but she doesn't like that solution. The Tribeca is probably going, but she wants to stay in the Subaru family. She wants to be able to see w/o a camera. (I'd personally like a reverse camera, but it's her car)

Again, the main question is does anyone know which cars will have VDC in MY07?

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
It seems a bit excessive to change the vehicle just for that. If she doesn't like the camera idea, what about one of those flat lenses that stick to the rear screen? Like this http://www.rearlens.com/

-- Steve

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that it's a bit excessive, but it's not my decision, or my car. Can we please try to keep it on topic?

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
haha... ya, we should just try to answer the man's question...

Whether or not his wife is difficult to please is another matter... <ducks> ;)

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
techy101 said:
I agree that it's a bit excessive, but it's not my decision, or my car. Can we please try to keep it on topic?
You're welcome :-(

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
fblittle said:
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what is VDC?
Vehicle Dynamics Control

VDC is composed of 2 main systems: VTD plus VDC full time 4 wheel traction and engine management.

+ VDC is traction control that senses vehicle direction and uses brake, throttle and engine management to help maintain stability.
+ The components of the VDC system are:
# all wheel drive using the VTD system (see above).
# When the wheels are spinning without traction or the vehicle is not going in the direction it is being steered, the VDC system kicks in.
* Direction: uses brakes to slow down wheels to reduce spin and help control vehicle direction.
* Skidding: yaw and steering wheel sensors use brakes to slow down spinning wheels and re-direct power to the wheel(s) with the best traction to re-gain control.
* Engine power use engine output to slow spinning by reducing spark to cylinders to cut back power and help re-gain control.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
As far as I know, there's no plan to introduce it with the forester or impreza next year.

That being said, an outback 3.0R can be had with very few miles for a lot less than new. I have a friend who picked up a lightly used one (17k miles) from Bill Kolb subaru for about 22k, if memory serves.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
twg said:
Even wagons will have certain visibility problems out the back...

you can solve this problem for under $100... buy one of those backup sensors...
I agree....perhaps that is the answer that is inexpensive & improves safety. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts