2007 Sports XT 4EAT
I decided to devote a chunk of the holiday weekend to my car since I had a bunch of little things I've been meaning to do. Here's a list and comments where applicable.
- Installed new low beam headlight bulbs. They're GE Nighthawks that I got cheaply from an Amazon B1G1 sale a while back so I thought I'd give them a try. They're not significantly different than my OEMs, maybe just a tad brighter, but really the OEMs aren't all that bad on the SG9. I didn't get one of them in correctly at first which I quickly realized at night when my headlights were lighting up tree branches 10-15 feet off the ground, oops! :icon_redface:
- Sold my OEM front seats for $200 on craigslist to a '96 Legacy owner. They sat really high in his car but he took them anyway since his seats were shot. Combined with a great deal I got on my new seats, my net cost = $0! :discomonkey:
- Installed Kartboy "Botox" subframe locking bolts. I had these for a ridiculously long time but never installed them due to not having the right tool for the job. Finally borrowed the needed hex socket from Arthrogrian19 (thanks man!) and followed the recommendations in this thread and on ScoobyMods. Like others, I had more trouble with the passenger side than the driver's side, even though I had the car on jack stands. It's frustrating because after cleaning out the holes I was able to thread the bolts alone all the way in by hand but once you add the insert it becomes extremely difficult to tighten them. It may have been easier if I could have loosened the subframe bolts per Peaty's suggestion, but I couldn't break mine loose. I'm pretty sure I eventually got them to sit deep enough though. Haven't driven enough to notice the difference while cornering but there's no additional NVH.
- Installed new wiper blades, just the usual Trico Teflon blades I use, so nothing special really; I'll probably switch to the '09 aero blades one of these days. On a related note I used some Aquapel on the windshield a few weeks ago - I've been using it for a while and I highly recommend it, you can get it cheap on eBay. Combined with new blades my rain visibility is excellent.
- Installed K&N drop-in air filter. Bought this from Tuned200 a while ago but it needed to be cleaned, and I finally got around to buying a recharge kit.
- Installed aux-in pocket mod (P/N 92174SA100). I was inspired by zer024's thread here (thanks for the writeup). I did not do the bluetooth mod since I am fine using a headset, I just wanted the pocket. I dremeled out the hole in the corner for a new aux jack (unfortunately the bit got too hot and melted the plastic so the hole is kind of rough as you can see in the flash pic; in person you wouldn't notice, though). Then I used Plasti-Dip to paint the piece black - it's a good match for the lighter surround. For the jack itself I used a cheap splitter like this one to create a simple extension from the original jack. I made the hole a very tight fit for the new jack and duct taped it down to the pocket so it's secure. Installing it was pretty easy following zer024's instructions but I have to echo his note that you do NOT want the spring loaded side of the door to come apart - I was trying to be careful but it came off anyway and it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how to get it back on correctly.
- Added sound deadening to the hatch door (polyfill, RAAM mat, Ensolite). Plenty of writeups on this so it went quite well except I broke one of the green clips holding the interior panel on, not a huge deal. For those who have not done it before just know that the black RAAMmat adhesive is extremely sticky and is likely to get on things you don't want it to, so have some Goo Gone handy. There was some kind of greasy goop all over the interior of my hatch door for some reason but the RAAMmat still stuck no problem. The hatch now closes with a satisfying "thud". Things have gotten a little quieter inside but I know there is a lot more room for improvement so I want to get to the other 4 doors and the fender areas ASAP!
- Installed coin tray (P/N for gray is 66170SA001ND) and clip (66267SA000) in place of fuse box cover. Thanks to Subaru for cheaping out on this in later models! :icon_rolleyes:
- Used touch up paint to cover a random 3-4mm chip in my paint on the passenger side d-pillar.
- Cleaned the engine bay and the chrome exhaust tip on my STi axleback.