Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light has been coming on and off for a month or so now. I just had my radiator replaced because it was leaking terribly and I wanted to have my car inspected while it was there. My mechanic told me the error was a misfire in valve one. He checked the plugs and the coils and seems to think I have big trouble with my engine, like corrosion or something. He's telling me that it could be up to $2000 to fix. I just bought it used one year ago and don't know what to do. It won't pass inspection with the check engine light on and the inspection is up in January. Any advice or ideas?

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
My advice would be to run away from that "mechanic" really fast and try another (real) mechanic. I've heard lots of BS in my day but a mechanic that says your engine is corroded will need to be a LOT more specific than that.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic is full of doo-doo. What's the error code from the check engine light?

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Valves dont misfire, engine corroded? Could be corrosion or sludge in the radiator and cyl 1 misfire. Maybe just 3rd party misinterpretation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts