Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done plenty of research and found a write-up for the valve cover gasket replacement but it was in an in impreza and not a forester... The impreza has a lot more clearance so I'm wondering if anyone here has installed valve cover gaskets on their Forester (98+)
I just got the car back from getting new head gaskets, clutch, TB, WP, etc. and the valve cover gaskets are leaking pretty heavily... They were the cheap ebay gaskets so I'm thinking they were just a poor design.
If I had 6" more inches of clearance I wouldn't be worried, but I'm wondering if i'll be able to actual pull the covers off after I unbolt them.
Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
They aren't too bad to get off. A ratchet wrench and a 1/4" ratchet with a shallow socket will be your best friends.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
If I had 6" more inches of clearance I wouldn't be worried, but I'm wondering if i'll be able to actual pull the covers off after I unbolt them.
Any input is appreciated!
No problem. You'll have plenty of clearance. Depending on mileage, it might be a good time to adjust the valves as well (if they weren't already done during head gasket replacement).

Remember to also get the spark plug well seals and some of those grommets. Felpro kits usually include them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts