Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester XT CVT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

My Forester "kissed" a column in a dark and tight underground parking garage, and now am looking to get it repaired.

Damage is not bad, but I would need some body work on the door, of course a three-stage Subaru paint job, and some new side-mirror parts.

I am thinking of taking the car to a Subaru "Certified" Collision Center rather than one of my insurance company's recommended shops (as I've checked, and the latter have pretty mediocre reviews online).

Does anyone have any experience using one of Subaru's Certified Collision Centers? Would you recommend using them, and did you see any real benefits to using the "Certified" shop over any others?

Thanks!

MidAtlanticGuy

·
Registered
2011 Forester
93 Posts
I don’t have any experience with a Subaru certified collision center? Is this a body shop through your dealer. I feel any good body shop would be certified through subaru. I’m unfortunately in the same boat as someone backed into our 2011 and smashed the lift gate in. I searched around for a well reviewed shop and went from there.

I took a look around and it looked clean and the cars they were working on looked good. Plus I asked about their warranty and they said they warrant their work for the life of the vehicle so that helped reassure my fears.

I have to drop her off tomorrow for them to begin work on Monday so I’m hoping for the best.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
Interesting. Our dealer, Rafferty Subaru, has its own body shop, but there’s nothing about it being “certified.” We used them in 2014 when our new 2015 Foz was hit in the right rear, and they did a perfect job and accepted the insurance settlement as 100% payment. And it being a Subaru dealer, we had a loaner while they had our car. The important thing, besides quality workmanship of course, is use of genuine Subaru parts.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
If the body shop you choose doesn’t use genuine OEM Subaru parts, I’d look elsewhere. Aftermarket parts never fit perfectly right. I’m having work done after a tree limp smashed my trunk. Getting a new oem Subaru hood and paint match.

The neighbor is paying my deductible. Which is awesome. It was their rotted tree that came apart. Nice that they’re taking responsibility after their insurance company said that they were not at fault.
From what I’ve researched, Subaru uses Standox paint. I couldn’t find a certified Subaru shop near me and the insurance company shops didn’t give me confidence. I’ll post before and after images soon.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester XT CVT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more research on the subject, and having "certified" body shops is something fairly new for Subaru. Basically Subaru mandates periodic training and requires the shop's equipment conform to Subaru specifications, and I believe they mandate Subaru parts as well. I think Subaru's certified network is pretty much all over the country, although there aren't a lot of shops in it. I considered taking my car to the dealer, but they just farm the work out to a third party and collect a kick-back fee, so I don't really need them to be in the middle of it all. By taking to a Subaru certified shop, I'm getting a bit more comfort that if something ends up going wrong, Subaru will intercede on my behalf with the body shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts