Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of using a PC led light (w/ 4 pin MOLEX) as a replacement to the Footwell Illumination Kit.

Do you think this is possible to be done? My only concern at the moment is to replace the wiring plug of the PC led light from 4 pin MOLEX to the appropriate plug that I can use for the car?

Any other ideas if this DIY is possible to be done? Otherwise, I'll just have to buy the actual Footwell Illumination Kit which isn't so bad for $36.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Does DC/AC current matter?

For $36 bucks, what have you got to lose? Perfect fitment and easy installation. If you don't like the color or brightness, then I'd say crack them open and add some LEDs in there.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yeah no you'll have to lose the molex connectors and will need to just tap the wires into something else.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
Actually I once cannibalized a hard drive power splitter cable and used the M and F Molex connectors and the wires to connect the mods I made up in the map light area back into the Forester. This allowed me to do all the mod work on my workbench and then connect the assembly back in, rather than soldering up over my head with it still mounted in the Forester.

Other lights suitable for use in the footwell area include the rectangular arrays sold by a number of places, some listed in my Sources Thread. Also the nice 14-LED circular arrays from MPJA (also in that thread) that I used in my cargo area light. I'm planning on wiring a couple of these in the footwell come springtime, and some up in the corners of the cargo area.. Spring is coming soon!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Oh duh that would make it so much easier to disconnect if you need to. I'm dumb.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2pointawd, can you please show me how you did the connections and wirings to do the DIY led lighting?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
There's a lot of relevant wiring info at my map lights with dome light mod. Since I've already done that mod, my plan is simply to parallel the footwell light on each side with its respective map light. So turning on the map light also illuminates the footwell on that side, as does opening the door.

Do be careful about not overloading things. If you've already swapped out the incandescent dome and map lights you've got lots of headroom to play with, but if those are still stock you're venturing into dangerous territory if you add more.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
2pointawd, can you please show me how you did the connections and wirings to do the DIY led lighting?
I wired the 3 LEDs to a switch that is under the dash. Then I tested the clock lighting in the middle of the dash to see which wire was active when the lights were turned on. Once I figured out which it was (using a multi-meter and help from bbottomley, if I recall) I wired it up. I ended up just used some adhesive to place the LEDs and their wires under the dash - nothing fancy. I found that if they were pointing down it was too bright, so I think I pointed them up.

Now, when the lights are on, so are these LEDs. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electrical stuff, but this was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I'd say just get the actual kit, just put mine in and the wiring that comes with it makes it really easy plus if you use the kit it actually dims via the dimmer switch with the rest of the lights

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I'd say just get the actual kit, just put mine in and the wiring that comes with it makes it really easy plus if you use the kit it actually dims via the dimmer switch with the rest of the lights
Was it easy to install?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
Was it easy to install?
Yeah, I installed the OEM kit and it was a piece of cake. The driver's side you'll sort of have to stand on your head to fasten the light. While on the passenger side I suggest removing the black plastic footwell pan below the glovebox to place the light. It will come out with a little bit of tweaking and not having to remove other trim pieces. (The impreza doesn't include the black footwell pan, huh...) Anyway, take the glovebox out and you can, with small hands and luck, reach behind the cosole and find the light harness etc. Plug everything in and put it back together. Easy...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
I didn't think to ask back at the beginning. What voltage do these lights expect? They could easily be 5 volts or 12 volts, or they could even be simply bare LEDs, with the required limiting resistor mounted on the motherboard. Use of 4-pin Molex connectors tends to argue for either 5 or 12. Which pins are they connected to? Yellow is 12, red 5, black ground in the normal configuration used for hard drives, CD-ROMs, and the like.

If they're connected to 5 you'll have to install a new limiting resistor.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Yeah, I installed the OEM kit and it was a piece of cake. The driver's side you'll sort of have to stand on your head to fasten the light. While on the passenger side I suggest removing the black plastic footwell pan below the glovebox to place the light. It will come out with a little bit of tweaking and not having to remove other trim pieces. (The impreza doesn't include the black footwell pan, huh...) Anyway, take the glovebox out and you can, with small hands and luck, reach behind the cosole and find the light harness etc. Plug everything in and put it back together. Easy...
Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
yes the lights as stated were an easy install, some how I managed to fish the wires through and reach in through the glove-box to grab the wire. I don't exactly have small hands so it was a little painful but it worked out in the end. Maybe took me 10 mins to install, 5 of that was actually fishing the wires. I also didn't drill the hole the recommend, just dropped the wire down behind glove-box and ran it around the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts