Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts
An amp will probably help with sound but I think you'd be better off replacing the speakers along with adding an amp.. Do you already haver a sub?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yet to buy one, trying to figure out how to have it set up is a nightmare!
If only they come in packages like home audio :Banane08:

Not looking for anything high end, just something more decent, the OEM speakers & tweets sound muddled.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts
Try adding the tweeters it will give you more highs and not sound so muddled. I have both the factory sub and tweeters and recently just switched my single disc player for a OEM 6 disc changer and the sounds much better. I did this because I like the factory look and usually thieves wont bother stealing them. Most people just change out the factory stereo with after market ones though.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
If you have the premium speakers and tweeter set, the addition of an amp will make a noticeable difference. They're not bad speakers, just a little underpowered.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try adding the tweeters it will give you more highs and not sound so muddled. I have both the factory sub and tweeters and recently just switched my single disc player for a OEM 6 disc changer and the sounds much better. I did this because I like the factory look and usually thieves wont bother stealing them. Most people just change out the factory stereo with after market ones though.
Do have the OEM tweeters & 6 disc changer, not likely to change the HU unless I need the nav function.:Banane35:

If you have the premium speakers and tweeter set, the addition of an amp will make a noticeable difference. They're not bad speakers, just a little underpowered.
Any recommendation for an amp? :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
IMO, not worth it - been there, done that.

The sound quality and sound-shaping capability of the stock HU is rather limited. You would need an amp with speaker-level input (not a big deal) and then tie back into the factory harness. By the time you get done screwing around with this, you'd be better off installing an aftermarket HU. Most have enough power to make the stock speakers sound better.

FWIW, I retained my stock HU for a long time for the very reasons you list. Ultimately, after adding aftermarket component speakers, an amp and a powered subwoofer, I ditched the stock HU and am now finally happy with the system.

Sadly, the OEM sound system in most Subies is pretty bad. The factory system in my wife's '09 Volvo S40 absolutely blows away the "premium" factory system in my '07 FXT Ltd. (there is/was seriously no comparison).

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Not looking for anything high end, just something more decent, the OEM speakers & tweets sound muddled.
I think for this reason you would be better off going after market speakers. As for an amp...really any one will do. You aren't trying to push too much power to stock speakers. I think my HU puts out 25w RMS and the speakers are ok with that, sounds decent...waaay better over stock.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
my reco is to not amplify the stock speakers. this has a lot to do with the fact that they can only handle 30w, and they are poorly made. you will blow them if you crank the volume imo.

here are the steps i took, in order, over time:

1- mono amp (or get a 5-way to prepare for the future if you are determined on amping the cabin speakers) and 8" JLA sub - best bang for the buck imo
2- replaced cabin speaks with Polk db's
3- replaced HU with Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts