Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to offer any tips or suggestions about using a buffer, not for applying polish to the car but for buffing the polish off after the it has dried to a haze? Can anyone recommend any particular make or model of buffer or any specific pads to use?

Getting up there in years and advancing osteoarthritis plays hell with my hands by the time I have applied the Zymol polish which I use and then removed it and buffed the paint finish using a microfiber cloth.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
I used to use an old Craftsman orbital buffer with a sheeps wool buff. It worked wonders. I would not recommend using a high-powered 7" angle grinder style buffer...way too easy to burn through the clear coat. Ask me how I know...

Something like this is what I'm used to using... I can't vouch for the model in particular, but this should give you somewhere to start.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-0-75-Amp-Corded-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-RB102G/205642375

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
I am not familar with zymol, but have found that a quick detailer has been handy removing excess polish. A more inexpensive alternative would be a "no rinse car wash" diluted as per label, that is what I use as a clay lubricant, a quick detailer, and it's great to get into the door jams where washing the car doesn't reach. I use both Optimum and Duragloss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those first replies.

If I used an orbital buffer like the one to which you provided a link. will one wool pad get me through buffing the polish off of a Forester or would two be required? Can you toss those wool pads in the wash? Are there any synthetic pads which work as well?

Lastly, here is a link to Zymol on Amazon. Over 300 reviews and 92% of those responding give it 4 or 5 stars. I am always surprised how folks never seem to know about this cleaner wax. It blows away the best rated ones on Consumer Reports which is Meguiar's NXT (rating of 69) whereas they give Zymol a rating of only 55. Every once in awhile I try another one, like NuFinish and I ALWAYS come back to Zymol. It is , however, a bit tough to buff off - this the question abouting using a buffer.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
[If I used an orbital buffer like the one to which you provided a link. will one wool pad get me through buffing the polish off of a Forester or would two be required? Can you toss those wool pads in the wash? Are there any synthetic pads which work as well?]

Good question...If memory serves I think I used to be able to do my entire Impreza wagon with one pad, roughly the same size as the Fozzie. I suppose it also depends on how heavy the layer of wax you are buffing is. It couldn't hurt to have a spare pad on hand is what I getting at. I always threw them in the washer, usually with the shop rags. Seemed to work fairly well. Not sure on the synthetic options, but I don't see why a microfiber pad wouldn't be just as effective.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, once again. Off to check out the reviews of orbital buffers.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,942 Posts
@OldTimer5500 we use a lot of Griot's Garage car care products. They are on the expensive side, but there are deals to be found on Amazon & on eBay!

I would recommend pursing the Griot's Garage website. They have lots of "how to" videos... like this one on the 6" random orbital, scroll down to the video.

I use a 3" random orbital to apply wax & the 6" random orbital to remove & buff. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip and the link, but I was hoping to spend $100 at most. I polish each of our Subis once every 4 months and seveal hundred bucks for an orbital is just too much for that much use.

OTOH, I am only too well aware that it's a "you get what you pay for" market.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@OldTimer5500 I use the Griot's Garage 6" orbital. I upgraded from a Harbor Freight orbital.
You can pick one up with a 20% off coupon or a $$ amount off coupon for less than $60.

I also use Griot's Garage foam pads which can be hand washed or thrown into a washer machine and reused.
Overall, if you are just starting out with an orbital, really consider the Harbor Freight orbital. It'll last and is cheap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that video. Nice to see how you keep the buffer moving and how much product you put on the pad. Only thing that one can't tell is how hard you were pressing down. Not very hard, I suspect, or you would have had to worry about damaging your clear coat.

Took a look at the system on Amazon and a constant complaint was the cheapness of the pads and how they easily separarated from their velcro backing. Some folks got only one use out of a pad!

Question: can you use that system with third party pads? I.e., can one attach a good wool pad instead of the pads that come with it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checking this thread today, I logged in and went to Forums > General.

This thread was there, but it was preceded with <Moved>.

I clicked on it, was taken to the thread, but cannot tell to which sub-forum it has been moved. There is nothing at the top of the thread showing a path.

Don't want to post things in the wrong forum in future so would appreciate it if someone would note which forum I should have posted to in the first place.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts