Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my colleague is selling his 2010 XT Auto. Its done 5000km only and in showroom condition. He's offering to me at $43,000 as he's got a new company car.

I dont really know what the market value should be, as I couldnt find similar XT's for sale in Perth. Rang up a local Perth dealer and was told I can get a brand new one for only about $3000 more at $46,500 driveaway....but my colleague said that used 2010 XT models are rare so it's resale value is appropriate. Pls advice....

·
Administrator
16,408 Posts
I would expect to drop 10K on a new 50K car as soon as I drive it out of the showroom. In this case, for an additional 3K, I would prefer to buy a new car; tell him that and make an offer you're comfortable with, say 40K, and if accepted then all is good, if not, go buy a new car!

·
Registered
06 Forester 2.5 Auto
14 Posts
Kevin is spot on, $10k drop is an accurate rule of thumb.

For example things you pay for in a new $46500 on-the-road vehicle that are not on used vehicles:
- 10% GST
- 5.6% Stamp Duty

So when the vehicle leaves the lot, it has already "lost" 15.6% in taxes paid for it.
i.e. your starting used price is $39,246 out of the dealer parking lot.

On top of that, you're not getting a new vehicle, and you have to check conditions of warranty transfer (e.g. Mitsubishi's fantastic warranty does not wholly transfer to 2nd owner, some finer points to watch out for).

To find out what the market value is, ask your insurer what they will insure for at market value. Then there's the matter of your insurance "new for old" policy feature not applying to you if you have a write off, because you bought used. So if you work out market value at a crash, minus new price, you're losing that too in that scenario.

Another way to find out market value, ask another dealer how much trade in you can get on your colleague's 5000km example.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
34 Posts
You've done the right thing in doing some research and finding out what it goes for new and then asking the question here.

If you look at what the retail price is and then the price that your colleague is asking for, you see a difference in (or saving of) $3000.

Now consider the wear and tear on the car over the past ???? klms, the fact that you don't know how it was run in, the fact that you're already down four months worth of CTP insurance, registration, and warranty. The fact that when you go to sell it, it's not going to be a "one owner" car.

I'd go to the dealer and hammer them, and get the lowest and best price you can, and choose the car in the colour that you want, with the options you want, and be happy with your brand new car.

Don't buy your colleague's left overs.

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Dont be too down on buying it just new/secondhand- it's only done 5000 km, so it's not really run in yet.

At around $40K, it's a great price, but much more than that and it's not so flash.

It's currently the best selling AWD in Aus so it's a sellers market to a fair degree.

Think about what a dealer would offer as a trade-in or an outright buy - and $40K is prob a bit more than what they would offer.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
New it's $45490 drive away but if you have no trade involved you'll cut that by at least $1500 - or at least I did without too much shopping. Don't know if it has any extras but most have something. Even with 5000km and a few months old there is no way you would pay more than $40000. $38000 and I might do the deal if I was happy with the colour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi guys...thanks for the all the advice. managed to get it at $38k, its got reverse sensors and tinting done. now just trying to get finance approval and hopefully will be a new forester owner soon!

·
Registered
2009 Forester
34 Posts
Sounds like an okay deal. I wonder if he can still look you in the eye knowing that he would have stung you for an $5000 if you didn't have your wits about you?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Heh, said I'd do the deal at $38,000 If it is still in showroom condition you have got a great bargin. After a month of ownership you wouldn't know the difference between buying new and what you've got except you'd have around $8000 in your pocket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts