Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was browsing the web, and found a website that specializes in selling used tires. The majority of which are sold as a set of 4, with 70% or more tread life left. I found a set of 4 Yokohama Geolander's for $94 bucks (plus $65 to ship). But still, those go for well over $100/each new....plus shipping. They have plenty of other brands and sizes, just thought I would share. Talked with a couple of people who buy tires from this place and said that they are completely satisfied. I'll let everyone here know how it goes when I get my set....

Best Used Tires

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why not just go to your local tire dealer, have them mount you up and set... you save the shipping cost, and heck, why not get it lined up to. Prolly save you some money in the long run.

I'd never put used tires on a car, it may have a small leak, then you gotta keep adding air and checking it.. on the other hand if you can save a few bucks and other people you know have said it was great.. up to you man.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
on the other hand if you can save a few bucks.....
Not just a few, a few hundred, easily. For a set of 4 new, would run $508+tax. I paid $164 shipped. Talked to a shop, and mounting/balancing will run me $50 (which I would have to pay new or used)

But tires are tires, regardless if they're used or new. (as long as they're in good condition). When you buy a used car, it comes with used tires.......all I'm doing is just buying the tires. :biggrin:

My only problem with my local shops is that they don't usually have a full set of 4, the right size or they're horribly worn. The good thing about the website is that they sell in sets of 4 when they have them, life left is usually 70% or greater, and they inspect the tires before they sell them to make sure their reputation isn't tarnished.

But like I said, I'm just going off other people's reviews. I'll have my own soon enough and let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
hey, let us know how this works out for you.. i need on-road only specific tires for my suv :biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Decide to get what? The tires? I ordered those and they were already on their way before I even posted this thread. :biggrin:

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I always troll craigslist, ebay, etc for tires when I need them, even when I don't. Just got a great deal on some a/s tires that are practically new off CL. I have no problem buying used.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
^agreed, my family almost exclusively put used tires on all our cars. Easy to go to the local shop and select from their wide selection. Quick easy and cheap. Great way to be green too!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I always troll craigslist, ebay, etc for tires when I need them, even when I don't. Just got a great deal on some a/s tires that are practically new off CL. I have no problem buying used.
Neither do I. Scored a set of steelies off our local forum for $50 and a set of Hankook W409 Ipikes off craigslist with 1500 miles on them for $200. For $250(mount and ballanced at home) the misses is safer this winter.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
The only tires that I've purchased new in the past 6 years have been for the Tribeca as there aren't a whole lot of used options out there in the right sizes--255/55/18 summer and 235/65/17 winter.

I won't, however, buy a tire with less than 7/32's left, just doesn't make sense to pay for mounting and balancing a 50% tire, more expense in the long run as I don't have the luxury of having a tire mounting machine at home. Although, maybe I'll look into getting a used one. But most of my rims are nice and I wouldn't want to scratch them.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the tires came in, with plenty of tread. I was hoping that I could get the raised-white lettered ones, but no, they're just the black walls. :icon_frown: But either way, got them mounted and they have a LOT of tread. WELL worth it, even with the $65 shipping.

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
544 Posts
When I bought my used 2010 Forester with 15k on the odo, I discovered that one of the tires was new, and was not a Geolandar like the rest. I was not too concerned until I read the owners manual and consulted this forum (this is my first AWD). I was unpleasantly surprised to find that a 255/55/17 Geolandar on TireRack was $165 + $15 shipping. Then I would be faced with shaving down the tread to match the other tires (more $). I was not a happy camper.

eBay was the answer for me. Thousands of used tires with all variety of tread depths. Apparently reputable sellers (based on feedback). I found a Geolandar with the same tread depth as my existing tires, paid $45 + $16 shipping. I am now a happy camper, and feel I dodged a bullet. Needless to say, if I ever ruin a tire... and perhaps even when I am looking for a replacement set.... back to eBay!

·
Registered
'05 Forester xt cinco
167 Posts
I know this is an old thread but its still relevant!
That website still has great deals, havent ordered any for myself but now they offer free shipping to the contiguous 48.

"Our tires are shipped through FedEx standard ground FREE to the 48 contiguous states. All orders placed before 10 AM EST will qualify for same day shipping, after 10 AM EST will ship out the next business day. Orders under $500 will be shipped no signature required and will be delivered at FedEx's discretion. For orders above $500 a signature will be required at time of delivery. Average time of delivery, depending on your location in the 48 contiguous states, is between 1-6 business days. Buyers from Pennsylvania or if you are shipping to Pennsylvania the 6.00% PA sales tax will apply."

Just thought I pass it along...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts