Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - I'm a new member, but have used the forum as a resource years ago when I had a '05 Forester (since sold), so I greatly appreciate the information posted here. I'm in the market for a used vehicle as my current '04 CRV is finally showing too much wear and tear and early signs of a HG leak (250K+km), so my trusted mechanic suggested I start looking at replacing it soon. I've always had manuals, and my CRV is a 5-speed as well. I've driven my parent's which is the same but with an auto and it is gutless in comparison. I take good care of my vehicles, I don't drive them hard, and have no issues doing regular maintenance on them.

So to make a long story short, i'm looking at getting a manual vehicle, and am seriously considering a Forester for the drivetrain and safety for my two kids. I've looked at the newer RAV and CRV, and will be test driving them as a comparison just in case, but I'd really like another manual vehicle before that option in a compact SUV goes the way of the dodo...

So I've read about the ins and outs of the last two generations, and I've found a bunch here locally that are sticks but I looking to the community for any issues I should be wary of with the options i've found, or if any of you have comments/warnings/things to look out for as I start going to look at and test drive some over the next few weeks? Any vehicle I am seriously interested in would get taken to a local mechanic/dealer for a look over.

Here is what i've found, these are all manuals:
  • #1 - 2011 w/ 121K km (75K M), one owner, no accidents $8,995 cdn (carfax is good on this one - this is one is close to me so easy to see)
  • #2 - 2013 2.5X w/ 95K km (59K M), two ownsers, no accidents $13,400 cdn (haven't seen the carfax yet so no idea - this one is farther away so more difficult to see)
  • #3 - 2014 2.5i w/ 109K km (67K M), $13,800 cdn (I've requested the carfax, not sure when it might come...this one is also farther away so would require a dedicated trip)
  • #4 - 2015 2.5i w/ 93K km (57K M), $16,999 cdn no accidents, one owner off lease, no accidents, sold by a local Subaru dealer. Carfax is clean, but no service records are on the report. Also, they replaced the clutch. When I asked about that, they said it was because it was "stiff" and wanted to make it feel like a new car...this seems like a red flag, or am I wrong? I've only ever had to replace my clutches in the 150K+ and 200K+ range in both my previous vehicles. This one also has obvious dings in the doors which can be seen in the pictures too.
  • #5 - 2015 2.5i touring w/ 77K km (47K M), $20,000. carfax shows one minor accident with no declared damage, though it does say "rear-end collision Involving front impact with another motor vehicle Light damage reported". This price seems very high, especially having had an accident...am I off base on this?
As for budget, I'm flexible but I'd like to stick closer/just north of $10K, but am happy to go up to maybe $15k for the right car/mileage/condition as I would keep the vehicle for a long time. At this stage, any insight that might help me when test driving these and looking them over would be a great help.

Thank all!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Factor in Tbelt,pulleys water pump change for all just above or below 100k miles

Oil usage seems to be more of an issue with the manual trans's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank MFGA - I'l factor that in. However, I thought that the '11 and up models no longer had the Tbelt issue as they moved to timing chains on the engines? The oil issue doesn't bother me much, as it seems folks here appear to simply check and top-up as needed. I'm already used to that with my leaky old CRV now anyway! 😂 I checked the above ones with VIN's and they are on the Subaru Canada oil warranty list.

Also, dealer of #4 got back to tell me that one sold. Still, my question stands re: the replaced clutch...is this something that sounds a bit fishy for an off-lease car?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Derp, you are correct on Tchain, my bad.
Accessorybelt might be due, though, and plug change- depending on history. The stealer here in female whale privates, Calizuela wants $600 to replace- took me half day to do mucking around.

Could be old owner just liked to hold hills with the clutch, or liked to roast the tires.

·
Registered
2004 Fxt mt, 2005 Fxt mt, 2005 fxt Mt project,2008 sports mt
23 Posts
#1 and do lots of homework and research on the vehicle , Will save in the long haul imo. The water pumps last forever and ever usually

1 - 5 of 5 Posts