Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my brake rotors and pads on my 2000 Forester L and got some Walker ThermoQuiet (TQ) pads for the front. It looks like the new pads have built in shims, that are not removable.

Should I still re-use the factory shims even though the TQ pads have built in shims?

Thanks!

-Tony

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
You don't need the factory shims if the new ones have a built in one. There probably won't be enough room if you did, if you did squeeze them in you'll make it drag the rotor and overheat / burn the pad. I did this once.:icon_redface:

·
Registered
2011 Forester touring 4EAT
39 Posts
Subaru pad kits include brake pads, shims, spring clips, and grease...........everything that you need and they are excellent pads. Why would you want to use anything other than an oem pad kit?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Or braking performance... or dust... or longevity... tons of reasons to go aftermarket.

Whatever you do, clean off the stock shims (and clips, but you will reuse these, clean them first before putting in new pads) and KEEP them. They are expensive to replace if you ever need them again... e.g. hawk hps pads with built-in shims that fall off after a while.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Or braking performance... or dust... or longevity... tons of reasons to go aftermarket.

Whatever you do, clean off the stock shims (and clips, but you will reuse these, clean them first before putting in new pads) and KEEP them. They are expensive to replace if you ever need them again... e.g. hawk hps pads with built-in shims that fall off after a while.
+1 definitely keep them around.

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
Whatever you do, clean off the stock shims (and clips, but you will reuse these, clean them first before putting in new pads)
This is how i fix my squeaking brakes too. The pad moves ever so slightly in the clips. (Old rotors starting to warp and the pads follow the rotor/move in the clips) Cleaning it and putting some of that brake pad grease stuff in there helped/fixed the squeaking I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts