Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited Auto
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to install a new Kenwood radio in my 10 forester but only comes with a USB in back meaning they will have to run cable.....anyone else install a unit like this, and where did you or the installer put the usb port?

I am hyper sensitive about scratches and broken things so don't want the interior ripped up or anything....

·
Registered
323 Posts
On my last car I just dangled the USB cord into the glove box, not cutting and its out of sight, but that was just for a usb stick/ipod that I never touch physically

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Going to install a new Kenwood radio in my 10 forester but only comes with a USB in back meaning they will have to run cable.....anyone else install a unit like this, and where did you or the installer put the usb port?

I am hyper sensitive about scratches and broken things so don't want the interior ripped up or anything....
You should be able to simply drop the end of the cable into the cubby below the dash vents.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
You have the factory USB input in the center console. You can retain that pretty easily if you want. You should be able to get a Subaru Factory USB to regular USB cable from ae64.com. Just plug the usb into the back of the HU and the connector into the existing Subaru harness. Easy as that.

This is what I did and I felt it was the cleanest solution. You can do the same with the Aux input if your headunit has RCA inputs.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
You have the factory USB input in the center console. You can retain that pretty easily if you want. You should be able to get a Subaru Factory USB to regular USB cable from ae64.com. Just plug the usb into the back of the HU and the connector into the existing Subaru harness. Easy as that.

This is what I did and I felt it was the cleanest solution. You can do the same with the Aux input if your headunit has RCA inputs.
This does not exist on my '10 Limited; Same vehicle as the OP. Only the power port and the 3.5mm AUX input. No USB on the factory head, either. No mention of USB in the owner's manual - and I have the B model (6-cd changer) head.

·
Premium Member
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
1,630 Posts
This does not exist on my '10 Limited; Same vehicle as the OP. Only the power port and the 3.5mm AUX input. No USB on the factory head, either. No mention of USB in the owner's manual - and I have the B model (6-cd changer) head.
This is correct.
They changed the HU and added a USB port in the center console on the 2011+ Foresters when they did the redesign.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited Auto
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

my 2010 has no USB that I am aware of. It has an AUX in the center armrest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts