Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just picked up my Forester today. I listen to music off USB drive. I’m having an issue where if I pair my iPhone to the car while phone plugged in it doesn’t allow me access to the USB media. Stays greyed out on menu and. Used Apple carplay as default music. If I unplug phone USB media becomes an option and music plays. Am I missing something. I don’t want to have to keep phone unplugged from USB port as use it to charge phone

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
251 Posts
Only the USB ports in the dash cubby connect to AirPlay. If you want power only, plug your phone into one of the other USB ports, such as the ones at the rear of the center console, intended for the rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That I knew but if I use carplay for let’s say maps and I want to listen to music off thumb drive it won’t work.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
184 Posts
Unfortunately, that is the way it works- only allows 1 usb music source at a time and the phone gets preference. I don't like it either I used to have no music on my phone since car is only place I listen. So I had to put music back on iPhone. Would be nice if you could select which USB source for music and which for maps and other carplay functions.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
566 Posts
My Android S7 is plugged into the USB in the dash cubby. I keep it in the cubby between the seats. It works flawlessly after latest update. I use the other USB in dash cubby for music on a Thumb drive. Again flawlessly. Maps + Music all play well at the same time. Could be an Apple thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure of the question but I plug into USB port and while listen to Pandora I get phone calls and use google maps with voice directions.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I’m not even listening to music on the phone. Just phone calls or maps. The usb drive has the music.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
251 Posts
Not sure of the question but I plug into USB port and while listen to Pandora I get phone calls and use google maps with voice directions.
Pandora isn't the issue. He wants to listen to music from a USB drive and use the iPhone apps with CarPlay.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
184 Posts
I rechecked on my car today because the salesperson had told me it wouldn't work and surprising they occasionally don't know the whole truth. He said only 1 USB port can be active at a time.
I have a USB thumb drive plugged into one port and the cable to my iPhone plugged into the other front port. I play music from the USB drive and when I plug my iPhone in a message comes up on screen that there is no media available and the media selection on the screen is greyed out. I don't have to even be running the CarPlay app for this to happen.
If the same thing works on a Samsung phone then it must be issue with CarPlay even if i'm not actually using CarPlay

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what happens to me. I guess that would explain why when I unplug my phone the usb drive works. That’s just a poor design. So if I use google maps through carplay I can’t use my usb drive to play music need to use the radio or a streaming app like I heart

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
566 Posts
I just replaced my Samsung S7 with a Samsung S10e. It works the same as the S7. Every time I get in my car I start USB music and then fire up Waze or Google maps. No issues. I still get text messages on the screen. When I get a phone call it mutes music. When call is ended it un-mutes. Can't recall if song is paused. I can't think of anything else I could ask for. Glad I don't drink the cool-aid.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
10 Posts
While on the subject of the USB connections... When I plug my Samsung S8 into a USB to use Waze or Google Maps, the last-used music app on my phone automatically starts to play. I do not have the phone set up to auto-play music. So, if I am listening to Sirius and want to use one of the navigation apps, I have to start the app, then go back to Sirius, which takes the map off my screen, then go back through Android Auto to the map. Anyone else experiencing this and have an idea of how to stop the music from playing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same issue with my 2020 Forester: Cannot use USB flash drive and Apple CarPlay in the same time.

Subaru, now is 21st century already!!!!!! My previous 2018(!!!) VW Tiguan was able to use 2 media sources!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,776 Posts
It may be the way that you are using the devices....

I drove a 2020 Forester Sport for 2 weeks or so just a little bit ago - I had my iPod in one USB port and one of my android phones in the other. I was able to have media set for my iPod and android auto mirroring my Waze app on the screen. The only issue I noted was that sometimes Android Auto would not release the sound back to media, but this may have been due to another app on the phone running behind Waze.

What it COULD be however, is that the media programming on the system is still categorizing and reviewing your data sources (the USB drive is full of music data) and so it could be delayed in putting music out. Additionally, it could be that each time you remove the USB it needs to recatalog the music files.

Suggestion? Spend a few bucks and get an older iPod and download iTunes and use that for Media and the iPhone (or android) for your maps and calls and the like.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
184 Posts
Don't know about iPod but this has been discussed in several forums - on those forums it was "agreed" that you can't plug in a iPhone and play music from USB. System says USB not available. So looks as if you can't have two plugged in music sources at the same time. Again, didn't happen on previous cars for me also.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,776 Posts
Well, to a certain point, that's true (about having 2 music sources) - because one has to play and the other doesn't... Just like on your home audio system, you can't have signal from the CD player AND from a turntable at the same time. Maybe try turning off music from the iPhone and see if the USB works that way?

As I said, I had the iPod plugged in and it was going through the "media" button on the radio panel. The phone (android, both a Samsung and an LG) worked for the android auto part of the system. So if you turn off music through carplay and use the media system, will that work?

Remember that the touch screen is just an interface for 5 or 6 (or more) different systems in the head unit - bluetooth, carplay, android auto, media, radio (satellite or AM/FM), etc.... They're all different systems in a single box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts