Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my forester XT yesterday, plugged in my lightning cable for my iPhone and today when I needed the cable I tried to pull it out but it was stuck, I'm worried it's gonna break, anyone have any problem with thier USB port?

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
Got my forester XT yesterday, plugged in my lightning cable for my iPhone and today when I needed the cable I tried to pull it out but it was stuck, I'm worried it's gonna break, anyone have any problem with thier USB port?
I didnt think lightning cables were compatible with usb ports?

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One end of a lightning cable is designed to plug into a USB port.
Omg that's hilarious, lmao.

Yeah the usb part of the cable. Its weird, never had problems with that on any USB before. Wiggled it a bit but it felt like the Plug was gonna pop out of the recepticle. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Use a screw driver (or something similar - even a chop stick will work - lol) to apply some pressure to the rim of the USB Plug when you're pulling/wiggling the cable. It'll reduce the likelihood that the plug pops out.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Just yank it out!

If the whole thing comes with the plug, take it in to the dealer and tell them to deal with it.

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just yank it out!

If the whole thing comes with the plug, take it in to the dealer and tell them to deal with it.
Im almost thinking about it, i just hate taking things to the dealer, they're so useless most times. I tried again when i pulled into work this morning, pulled until my thumb turned purple from squeezing it so hard, its really wierd, ive been working in and around computers since before windows existed and never had this problem. I almost want the whole base of it to pop out so that i can get it on a bench and examine it up close, the only thing that could be holding it in is those 4 friction prongs that hold any usb in, maybe one of them was bent or something.

Im gonna see if i can look up how the whole thing pops out and see if thats an option, maybe give it another go at lunch.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i prem 6-spd manual
39 Posts
It's just unusually stiff. Just pull it out. It will come out fine. Mine is the same way

EDIT: Well, mine wasn't as bad as you describe here:

I tried again when i pulled into work this morning, pulled until my thumb turned purple from squeezing it so hard,
Maybe there is something bent...

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no clue what it was, but it just ignored it for a while until this weekend, i said Eff it and just pulled with 100% of my strength and it took maybe a minute and it popped out, i couldn't see any damage to the cord or anything, and it took ALOT of strength to yank it out, but surprisingly it came out. so thats done with

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same issue with that cable in two of my cars (the Forester being one of them). Watch this video and it will solve your problem!

How to Unstick Your Stuck Lightning Cable from a USB Port « Smartphones
wow just saw this post, that would have been helpful as when it got stuck i was examinine other usb ports and knew the only thing that could be holding the cord in was those little prongs, but for some reason i never thought of inserting a shim into the space to release it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
I noticed your handle "daewootech" lol. My daughter had a 2000?? Leganza. As junky as these cars were the thing held up for 90K miles. Parts and dealers were unavailable. I think the engine was solid.

·
Registered
2007 Infiniti G35 AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah it was one of my first cars, i used to do a bunch of stuff with fellow owners, made custom parts and ran a website and forum, but they closed up shop, i blew a head gasket just shy of 80k, fixed it, sold it and moved on. but i kept the name, most of my friends knows me by it, and i dont have to worry about it being taken, usernames are a dime a dozen these days and trying to get a new one isnt easy.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited 4-speed automatic
450 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2011 USB outlet. I had to use channel locks on the USB plug, after yanking it broke the wire itself and the plug remained stuck in the outlet.

For some reason the USB outlet seems somewhat movable from behind the plastic center console/armrest housing.

Got a new cable and tried it, and it didn't get stuck but it felt stiff to remove. Got it out this time with no problem.

Now I'll just use the cig lighter plug w/ USB outlet to charge my phone, and bluetooth to hook up the radio, for now. The cable that broke was a new one, I just happened to use the Subaru to work and planned to bring the cable to charge my phone when I get to work.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5 Premium
25 Posts
Stuck USB Cable 2011 Forester

I have a 2011 Forester. Got an iPod touch the other day and decided to try it in the car for the first time. The lightning to USB cable is now a permanent part of the car since I cannot get it out. Subaru dealer said there was a 50 - 50 chance of getting to out without breaking the uSB plugin. So, bought a nw cable for $19 form the Apple store and called it good and lesson learned. If I was to do it again, I would jut use the dual male end pugs and have something that can go in and out. Not worried about the charging aspect. This is what I will do for my truck, as I can see the whole scenario happening again if Iuse the lightning cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts