Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USAA is an insurance and financial services company that serves the military community. Originally aimed solely at active duty officers, it has expanded the scope of eligibility a number of times. Today it took the final step, announcing that it has extended membership eligibility to all who have served honorably in the US military.

Those who have been around here for a while have probably seen a number of discussions about the great service USAA provides to their members. And good rates! Check them out. www.usaa.com

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few additional factoids about USAA:
Once you're a member, your children and their families are also eligible. I know that my son-in-law married my daughter for love, but it sure didn't take him long to jump to USAA after the wedding! She had an accident in his car before they were married, and he was astounded at the difference in treatment between his company and USAA.

USAA is owned by its membership, so any excess profits get returned to the members. Some of this goes into a savings account which you can't immediately tap, but it's yours and it's accruing interest. Other times you just get a check in the mail which says in essence, "We made too much money last year. Here's your piece of it!"

They allow automatic monthly payments at no increase over the cost of the annual premium.​

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I'm a member, as my dad signed up while he was active. It's a great company. I wish they insured motorcycles.

A warning. They will not insure you if you were dishonorably discharged, doesn't matter the reason. I have two friends who called them today to see if they could get coverage, they were both dishonorably discharged because their squad mates found out they were gay (both army, they did not serve together). That's a real shame to me.

Anyways, just a warning!

To all who can get it, I highly recommend USAA.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
That explains why we got an offer for USAA car insurance a month back. I was thinking they made some goof-up.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
My dad was Military, so I got in through that.

The rates are astounding. Less than 50% of what it would have cost through Progressive or Geico. AND, they are always nice when you talk to them!

We had a break-in last christmas. Someone stole the GPS out of her car. I called, they said "Don't worry. Are you home tomorrow morning?" At 8am on the dot, a glass repair guy arrived and replaced the window. The following Monday, a replacement GPS had arrived.

Ash, they sublet Motorcycle insurance to Progressive at a reduced rate. When I had my CBR, that was how it was insured. It was expensive, but much less than going straight through progressive. Of course, that was a few years ago and might not be the case anymore.

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Usaa is the best ever. i love it and now my kids are set for life :) even more awesome i got a great discount for having 2 cars and home owners insurance all in one :) only downfall is that i cant deposit cash when i wanna i blow it on toys instead lol

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
I'm not a fan of their homeowners insurance (raised my rates over 54% in a year even though my loss ratio was less than 100% aka claims vs premiums). But everything else is through them. I did recently refi the cars through Navy Fed. They shaved 3 points off the interest rates and USAA wouldn't match it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Ash, they sublet Motorcycle insurance to Progressive at a reduced rate. When I had my CBR, that was how it was insured. It was expensive, but much less than going straight through progressive. Of course, that was a few years ago and might not be the case anymore.
Still the case. I got mine through USAA's Progressive partnership and I'm covered up to half a million for like 49 bucks a month on a V65 Magna!

Only bad thing is recently they have been dropping the ball with billing info. Got it fixed after 6 calls. I still like them better than the rest!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
II did recently refi the cars through Navy Fed.
NFCU is a great banking option, too, though overall it doesn't look like they currently offer as many other services like insurance; they have insurance through someone or another, but don't cover as many types of property. I don't think there is a shopping discount program, either. They've been super-easy to work with and their rates are quite competitive, depending on the type of loan you want. www.nfcu.org

FWIW, I got a loan last week to buy some tooling for my business - a local CU offered up a secured loan for just 3.5%! Just put up the recently paid-off Legacy and away we go. Even the SBA won't do it for that rate.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
I love USAA, they are definitely easy to work with. My father had it and that's how I do but when my brother and I were younger and still on his insurance we definitely made USAA work for their insurance money. If they didn't drop us after dealing with my brother and I (I put my brother's car through the garage door with remote start) then it has to be impossible to get dropped. Their banking and insurance prices and options are the best and I love being able to scan a check and deposit it right into my bank account.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5x
66 Posts
I love USAA, my dad has it and that is how I was able to get in a couple of years back. I switched from Geico and have not looked back since. Even through an accident, getting married etc... they have been the most helpful, plus their rates are really good.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, such a bore. Every year at this time I get a letter from USAA saying that they made too much money, and enclosing a check for my piece of it. This year my piece of it was $378. And they said they'll be giving me some more next year as continuing thanks for having been with them for over 40 years.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
404 Posts
USAA is an insurance and financial services company that serves the military community. Originally aimed solely at active duty officers, it has expanded the scope of eligibility a number of times. Today it took the final step, announcing that it has extended membership eligibility to all who have served honorably in the US military.

Those who have been around here for a while have probably seen a number of discussions about the great service USAA provides to their members. And good rates! Check them out. www.usaa.com
My father served in the Army Air Corps in WWII and I was able to join in 1993 as his son. I think they've always been able to accept family members of former military personnel all the time.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not my recollection going back to when I joined in 1966. They did have an interim step where they set up a separate company for insuring dependents, but then they opened it up to full membership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts