Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have found a set of struts (4 way adjustables) and Sti pink springs from a 2003 model, is it possible to make them fit a SG9 Sti?

It is clearly listed it is for SG5 (A-C) and mine is a SG9 E but I wonder what the differences are.

These are the ones:

Fronts
japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE

Rears

Springs

Is the design of struts between 2004 and 2006 models totally different or are they too soft for a Sti?

Looking at this though it says SF in the title but under compatibility it lists them for SG9 :confused:

STI Strut Shock Absorber Suspension Forester SF'

It is rather confusing...
Cheers :)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
First off.......:biggrin:

SG5 translates to "Forester Wagon 2.0L"

SG9 translates to "Forester Wagon 2.5L"

The 5 and the 9 relate to engine capacity not STi.
They've had SG9's in the US since 2001?

All "SG" struts will be interchangeable, it's what they do internally that matters.

Also bear in mind the ground clearance of a SG "XT" is 200mm and a SG "Sti" is 170mm.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
I take it you have checked out here.........

STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER

Its interesting that although Japanparts list struts for the cross sport, non are shown on this site.

Also here.................

SPORTS PARTS for FORESTER

6MT quickshift comes with a front "strengthening" bush but still rubber.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Don, as always very knowledgeable :)
The Sti pink springs for the SG5 XT lower the vehicle 25mm approximately so even if they fit as you say, they will make the Sti higher than stock by 5mm in which case not wanted!

Besides if they were a direct fit they should be listed in the STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER [email protected] they?
For the SG9 Sti though there are only upgraded springs but no upgraded struts.

There are Sti springs for the cross sport, check here: STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER
under SG A type -> (02xx) ... -> CS2 0T
or under any SG type under CS you will find Sti springs.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The parts list pdf is very useful and shows compatibility (if only I could read japanese - the ony way to make some sense of it is by comparing prices with the STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER page)

So part number ST20310880 (red 4-way adjustable struts) are only available for the XT, check here: http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/sg_forester/partslist.pdf

In page 2 of the pdf there is a remark noted (3) on lines 11 & 12 for the Sti trailing and lateral links, I wonder what it says...

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi SG9 6S M/T
138 Posts
i dont think compatibility is an issue. whatever fits de SG5, fits the SG9.
Those pink struts are listed to the SG5 cause they are inverted.
Stock sti Sg9 struts are inverted also.
If those pinks struts are 4-way adjustable then it could mean an improve to the sg9 cause stock struts are not adjustable.

cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts